We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

Buffalo NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

I have visited Orient Beach in Dec. 2004 and 2005 and am thinking of going back. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the possibility that the cruise ship crowds that deluge the beach during the day in high season might even be worse in 2008 than they were then. Can anyone tell me, is it getting unbearable at Orient Beach with the cruise ship crowds growing bigger? I know that the port has been enlarged at Philipsburg and I just wondered if anyone has been there recently and what their experience was.

Mentioned in this post
Philipsburg
Philipsburg
St Martin / St Maarten
Chicago
Level Contributor
395 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

We have stayed on the island and gone to Orient Beach as well as come in on a cruise and gone to Orient beach. I do not notice much difference with the addition of the cruise ships going there. I actually do not think that there has been much change in the number of ships -I think they have just cleaned it up. Check the ship calendar and see which ships would be in while you are there. I know that traveltalkonline.com has a link to a calendar with which ships are in on specific days.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

We've never found them to be a problem and we always go to Orient.

Actually, they are quite comical with the way they leave their socks, shoes, shirts, pants, bags and various other articles on the beach.

CA
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

We found them to be very annoying. lots of gawking. There were 2-3 ships when we were there. May try St Barths next trip since no cruise ships stop there.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,748 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

We saw very few cruisers last week at the yellow umbrellas. Can't speak for the rest of the beach. But the beach was crowded - more so than other years.

Buffalo NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

Thanks to all of you! I appreciate the info, especially about the cruise ship info online. Now to find a cheap airfare! : )

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

Here's the link to the cruise ship schedule:

http://travelcal.traveltalkonline.com/sxm.cgi

7. Re: Cruise ship crowds at Orient Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten