We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Match supermarket in Marigot

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Match supermarket in Marigot

we are arriving next week for a week of relaxation at Le Petit in Grande Case. Want to stop by a supermarket on the way to hotel from the Simpson Bay area. I hear the Match Supermarket is on the way in Marigot. Any driving directions for me once we get to Marigot.

I am an organized freak!!!!!I have dinner reservations for Marakech in Marigot,Calmos Cafe in Grand Case and have a car rental booked with Original SXM Car rental Simpson Bay. Anyone have concerns with these plans. We are not culinary experts but love filling meals at good prices.

thanks for all your great tips. This is a great sight with invaluable info.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

Appears you have things well in hand. You will see Match along Rue de Hollande. Parking can be a pain but there is a dirt lot next to the supermarket that you can use, if it's still there.

Also Grand Marche supermarket is located just before the border. You amy wish to consider the price savings shopping on the Dutch side.

The restraurants sound great. I'm not familiar with the car rental company.

Suggested dining:

La Petit Auberge des Iles in Marina Port La Royale, Marigot, a complete dinner for around $30.00US per person.

La Croissanterie, same general area, great croissants, full breakfast and lunch menu.

caribbean-on-line.com/islands/sm/mgmap.shtml

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

Tip #1: Be sure to leave someone with the car and your possessions when you go to the store. Personally, I find it a bad idea to shop on the way from the airport.

Tip #2: Try shopping at Grand Marche instead. It will be much cheaper, you will easily find a parking spot and you won't have to drive thru the Marigot traffic

Tip #3: Relax! Stop making plans. You'll have more fun.

Please report back about your stay when you return. I LOVE hearing about Le Petite!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

The Grand Marche in Cole Bay should fill all your needs and then some. Better prices than on the french side and outstanding selection. They also take Visa & Mastercard rung up as US dollars. Parking is right out front of the market so you should have more security with things in your car. If you do stop before you check in than its best to have everything in your trunck and not to have any thing exposed in your car. I don't think you would have a problem there with everything in your trunk while you are shopping.

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

Thank you all for responding to my post. I was hoping Bobcat and SXMlover would respond as I have been reading all your valuable info for months now.

I was planning on staying with the vehicle when stopping for groceries as i saw one of you post that security tip before. Grand marche it is then!!!!

Counting down the days, thanks so much

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

"Grand Marche it is then"

http://www.legrandmarche.net/

Look for the one on the Union Road, Cole Bay, behind the local bank and just before the Princess resort.

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

The closest Grand Marche to us wil be at Simpson Bay. How does the choice/variety compare with the larger stores? I'm especially interested in Cheeses, Wines and Pates.

Will the French stores offer greater variety or more speciality items?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

The Grand Marche in Simpson Bay is more of a smaller gourmet shop. Certainly worth a visit since you will be nearby while the larger Dutch supermarkets offer wider selections of US/Europe foods, the French supermarkets naturally will have more items from France.

French side stores worth a visit are :

Royal Market in Nettle Bay - US Import/Export in Sandy Ground at the drawbridge and Match in Marigot.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

Yopu will find a fantastic selection of pates in the Cole Bay Grand Marche. The Gormet' Marche in Simpson is more of a convienience store in comparisom with more expenseve pricing. No way to compare the two.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

Forgot, they have a fantastice selection on wines and cheeses. Very good selection of deli meats. They will cut any size you want at the Cole Bay store.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Match supermarket in Marigot

We have found the "Gourmet Marche" in Simpson Bay to have very little selection. We've stopped going, even tho it was cnvenient.

Agree - US Imports in Sandy Ground, tho more expensive, is a great place to shop for "special" foods. We also like Le Boundy in Grand Case. Lovely little deli with a nice variety of meats and cheeses.