We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

R license plates target from theft?

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
R license plates target from theft?

We are staying in Cupecoy Bay in November and want to make sure we rent a car with French plates due to the advice I've read here that the Dutch plate have an R on them and are targets for theft.

Any suggestions on who I can rent from to ensure French plates and a good price?

Thanks so much!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: R license plates target from theft?

Many agencies offer both. We use Hertz and ask for French plates. As for the rate you should check a few agencies to compare. Here are two more to check out.

http://www.tripleacarrentals.com/

http://www.stlouis-cars.com/

West Chester Pa
Level Contributor
422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: R license plates target from theft?

We use St Louis Car Rental and they are as dependable as you could hope for. They are based in Nettle Bay and all their cars have French license plates. They meet you at the airport and are ALWAYS there when you return. You just have to give them the pre-arranged time. E-mail Marius or Arlene. They have great Kias.I have no idea if they are the cheapest, but I think that they are the best.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: R license plates target from theft?

We rent from AAA and get French Plates.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: R license plates target from theft?

I have always used Hertz but have never paid any attention to whether my cars had french or dutch plates and have never had a security issue. I guess I'm luckey or careful after 9 pluss years of car rentals on St Maarten.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: R license plates target from theft?

I second what SXMScubaman said. Have never had a problem with R licence plates....and I've been travelling to SXM for a long time....I guess I've been lucky too?? :)

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: R license plates target from theft?

That makes two of us, anybody else.

cleveland
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: R license plates target from theft?

I've usually had Dutch plates and for twelve years never a problem.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: R license plates target from theft?

Well, I've only been to SXM once so far, but it was for a full 2 weeks, and no problem at all with a Dutch rental. Mind you, last year we hadn't heard of any problem with an R plate, so didn't worry!

We drove all over the island, with a whole day at orient beach amongst shorter trips to other beaches, several trips into Phillipsburg, Marigot, etc

Now I am more aware of the crime problem, I wonder if we will change anything? Probably not...we never left anything in the car, just like anywhere else we have travelled to (and look at my travel map pins!)

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: R license plates target from theft?

BTW, we're back in SXM on 6 September for another 2 weeks!

OK, I admit it, We're hooked!

Jules

Detroit Area
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: R license plates target from theft?

We just returned from SXM and used Lucky's/Hibiscus Rental.. all of their vehicles are French plated and the rates are very reasonable.

They had a person meet us at the airport to take delivery at the airport, and all we had to do was drop off the vehicle in the airport parking lot for return.

http://www.hlcars.com/index.html

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin