We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Does anyone know of an electronic store where I can get a good deal on a digital camera and camcorder. I know the make and model and don't have much time as I'm visiting for a day and don't want to spend all my time in stores. Thanks!

Elverum, Norway
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Did you find a good store? I am going to Philipsburg for a day in November and have the same intentions as you did...

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

There are plenty of good electronic stores in Sint Maarten.

We bought our digital camera and all accessories in a shop called Boolchards. All the shops are on one main road in Phillipsburg which runs about 50 metres parallel from the beach.

Kelowna
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

There are three or four major electronic stores in Phillipsburg. They are all on Main street and are within a 5-10 minute walk of each other. I know a few of the stores are owned by the same owner because when i was trying to play the stores off of each other he would only match the price of one store because they were owned by the same person. He actually picked up the phone and confirmed the price i was telling him.

My advice to you...spend 30 minutes going to the three/four major stores and play them off of each other. Even, have a back up camera that you are interested in from the other stores in mind. If they are not willing to lower the price on the camera you want, indicate to them that you might just go back to the other store and buy the other camera because you think it's a better deal. Each store wants the sale...make him work for it!

I was able to get my Canon G-6 camera for 45 US less then what they originally offered it at. It took me 30-45 minutes to get them to their absolute lowest price (as far as i could tell). Make sure you look into memory cards as well because I didn't buy it at the time but i think the memory card was cheaper down there as well. After doing the shopping on main street you will be able to spend the rest of the morning on the beach.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

We have found that most electronics can be purchased less expensively via the intranet than in SXM.

If you do purchase there, check that the warranty is valid in the US.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Just keep in mind you are saving on tax and shipping...bring along a newspaper flyer to compare prices I bought a Bose CD alarm clock and Bose headphones and tax alone I saved money...factory warrenty will always apply all over the word..I found Boolchamps had good prices and quality mechandise.

San Diego
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Whereabouts in St maarten did you buy the Bose Headphones and how much did they cost? Wer they the noise cancelling ones? I am in the Caribbean and looking for a pair of headphones to ease me through the long flight back to my home in New Zealand.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Well I would avoid Klass Electronics ! I have bought a video camara there and I have had a problem with it, and in 3 months of writing to them they still have not found a solution to have it fixed or supply me with the necessary information (or papers) so to have it fixed in Europe...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Well I would avoid Klass Electronics ! I have bought a video camara there and I have had a problem with it, and in 3 months of writing to them they still have not found a solution to have it fixed or supply me with the necessary information (or papers) so to have it fixed in Europe...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
5 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Just read the posts about several of the electronic stores in St. Maarten. For camera purchases and accessories (video and still), I've been totally satisfied with the service, knowledge, inventory and pricing at Chulani's (Front Street, Philipsburg; small narrow store, opposite side of street from McDonalds). Have purchased 3 cameras over a 10 year period; no problems with warranty in the US.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
5 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for electronics in Sint Maarten

Try Chulani on Front Street, opposite side as street from McDonalds, in general vacinity. Have purchased video and still cameras and accessories over the past 10 years. Knowledgeable staff, not pushy, competitive pricing and helpful in comparing features between models.