We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

Level Contributor
964 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

This will be my first big jewelry purchase aside from my wedding ring ...... I am wanting a diamond/aquamarine 3-4 carat ring - what is going to be the best store to work with that has high quality merchandise...... is negotiating and option - how much typically can you get off from the sticker price ..... thanks!!!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

I would definitely buy gold in the Caribbean but NEVER EVER a gem. That's me. Having said that avoid the chains that IMHO sell inferior gems (from what I have seen and from customer's experience). I hope folks here can guide you. For me, I would only shop in my country (in this case the US) at a reputable shop that I could return to if there was a problem. In the past one could always negotiate in SXM.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

I have had excellent experiences with DK Gems.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

Yes, agree with sxmlover - DK Gems is one of the best, if not the best on Front Street, very nice people and yes, you can work down the stated price quite a bit, no telling just how much, and outstanding quality too. I'm beginning to sould like an a spokesperson, as with anything it is best to know your product and price before going in and to shop around for the best deal.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

If you can go on a day when no cruise ships are in, you often get a bigger discount, or extra allowances...

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

paying cash saves

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

We have made many, many purchases from Ballarinas on front street. They have two locations. We have always delt with Nash and have always been satisfied. If you have a return or any other issues they are handled in New York. The gem quality is always as represented. Lots of our friends have used them with the same satisfaction.

You always get a better negotiated price on multiple item purchases.

FRIENDSHIP ME
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

We also shop at Ballerinas. We were referred by friends who have been shopping there for about 15 years. We will be in St Maarten next Wednesday and will stop by to see Ravi. Great service and great prices.

Level Contributor
964 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

ok :) ..... we will be sure to go to DK Gems as well as Ballarina's and checkout both of their selections ..... is there a particular salesperson that negotiates well and how much off the sticker price should we count on paying? For instance, if the sticker is $2,000 how much is a reasonable amount to pay? Again, sorry for all the questions, just want to be as educated as I can w/ this size of purchase :).

Also, can they resize onsite. I wear a rather large size ring, so I didn't know if they could do that there, or if I would need to have it resized at home.

Thanks!!

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

Also try Princess at the end of Front St. Mike is the owner and he designs his own jewelry. Beautiful and one of a kind pieces. He had a blue diamond ring he designed for about $1900. They also have stoes in St Thomas, Colorado, and Alaska. Family business and he is reputable and recommended by the crusie ship lines. Just tell him you are not a crusier but staying at the hotel. Cash will get you better deals. Art of Time across the street are also reputable and Radiant Gems near the MacDonalds at the beginning of Front St (See Sunny and tell him someone from the Divi sent you. His friend works there in management. Godd luck but do some research on prices in the US for items you might like to compare.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewelry Shopping in St. Martin - please help :)

DK will resize for you within an hour if necessary.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin