We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones in St. Martin?

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phones in St. Martin?

We have gotten into the habit of renting a cell phone (in Aruba) to make a few calls back to the business or check in at home.

Found out that St. Martin has a GSM network and thus our own phones won't work there even if they have international capability activated. So, we must obtain a global phone through Verizon and then pay approx $2.29/minute.

I've seen postings and ads telling you to go to a certain cell phone service on the island to activate your phone for international use too.

What do most people do? Don't misunderstand, we're talking about only a few calls in a week!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

http://www.queenofsxm.com/default.php

Probably the best deal on the Island.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

Follow Bobcats advice, she is great and wonderful to work with! We use her services on every trip.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

The mail box just accross the bridge rents phones. Yourverizen phone will work perfectly on the Dutch side but not the french. Check your rate as we used ours and it wasn't that rate you posted but much less.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

What I do when on island: My phone is GSM -tri-band-UNLOCKED-with a SIM.My USA provider is ATT (Cingular). SXM has an umbrella cell phone provider co that consists of Telnet---TelCell-Smit coms & Telem. I go to TelCell in Simpson Bay --purchase and in-stall their Sim (or chip)and purchase about 55-minutes of time for $30.00. ($10 for the chip & $20 for time.If I need additional time I go to a Shell gas station and purchase it (compterized-minimum $3 and up through my phone no).Very easy and very simple. You can purchase a phone and time from the popular person mentioned often BUT they have to purchase the time they sell you through an SXM cell phone provider----your choice!!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

Agree - if you want to be sure - call the Queen.

6. Re: Cell Phones in St. Martin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 17:22