We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderful Car Rental

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wonderful Car Rental

We visit several times a year. Thrifty Car Rental is by far the best of the 'premier' car rental brands on St.

Maarten. We have rented with other car rental companies such as Avis and Hertz

and not been impressed. Avis is a rip-off. Hertz is okay but quite pricy and feels 'corporate'. Our friends and us have stuck to

Thrifty over the years.

They have a new fleet of cars, but most of all their service is incredible. Very

polite and professional. Suprisingly personalized for a big brand name. We wanted to write good about them so here it is.

We recommend booking through the General Manager Jag Persaud at

jagjpersaud@sxmthrifty.com. He would give you much better rates than if you were

to book them elsewhere.

Hope this was of some help to anyone planning a trip!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

I have always found the best price with Hertz every time we rented an explorer. Nobody even came close to the price that Hertz offered. There service has always been above expectations.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

We have also found the big names to be pricy. We've been happy with AAA for many years.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

I would rather give my business to a local and help support their economy. Just like I would not go to a chain restaurant in SXM if they were there.

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

WE are leaving for OBBR on Sunday & are renting a car from AutoMax. Is this a good choice?

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

AutoMax?? Never heard of it. Stick to stable and secure car rentals. We like to deal with franchises because if you ever have a problem you can charge back easier, submit complaints, and get better service and be more secure. We highly recommend Thrifty once again in St. Maarten. On some of the other islands they are ok and we have actually used Dollar, but in SXM Thrifty is top notch. Email the manager to get great rates- jagjpersaud@sxmthrifty.com. Awesome person.

Hope this helps.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

Actually, renting from the franchises does NOT get you that protection on SXM. If you have an issue and contact the US "head office" they will tell you they cannot help you.

The local "franchise owners" pay a fee to use the name and reservations systems. That's about it.

Proven over and over and over.

Passaic NJ
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

I'll have to stick my 2 cents in here. We have used Unity for many years and have had nothing but extremely happy transactions. Michael is always their for you. His prices are always competitive as well. We usually rent about 4 or 5 cars for the month of January. As we are a group of about 20, both family and friends who visit St Maarten yearly we have come to know Michael and his wonderful operation pretty good. He's been in business pushing 20 years now and has a list of over 2000 timeshare owners who rent from him. One of the best things about Unity is they have a one hour replacement guarantee should you need it. You can contact them either online at: www.unitycars.com or call Michael direct at a US 800 number: 800 820-7918. Whoever you use have a GREAT VACATION!

Anthony

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

I have heard mixed reviews on Unity. Some are good, some are bad. Best best in my opinion is to stick to a franchise. Thrifty is by far the best of the lot. Fast, convenient, and if there are any problems, you can always take it up corporate (advantage of using franchises). You can get really screwed with some of these non-franchise rental companies.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

We all have our preferences with car rentals. You seem to constantly push Thrifty. Are you affiliated with them somehow?

Oakille, Ontario,
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wonderful Car Rental

I rented from Thrifty in St Martin once in February 2007. When I received my AMEX bill found a charge for $500.00 from Thrifty! AMEX was able to squash the charge, but I would never again rent from Thrifty on the island.

Another good alternative is Lesley Bruce of Kenny's Car Rental