We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental suggestions?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental suggestions?

Hi,

We are going for 5 days starting Dec 24th and would like to rent a car from the airport and return it there as well. Any recommendations of companies that are good? Just looking for a basic car, nothing too big.

Any companies to avoid?

Thanks!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
832 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental suggestions?

This subject has been discussed many times. Scan the prior posts and you will find plenty of opinions.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental suggestions?

Most if not all rental agencys are of airport grounds. Most all have a free shuttle to their lots to pick up the rental and take you back upon return of the car.

I highly recommend Hertz. You can book it on line or go to their booth at the airport. Nice people to deal with.

Nashua, NH
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental suggestions?

Avoid Payless. Read my post...it is no joke. Thrifty is pretty good and a short shuttle ride from airport.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental suggestions?

There are a lot of car rental companies listed in SXM. Personally I think many are dual companies using multiple names for 1 site.

There are a few rental companies that are very close to the airport, but I believe all will pick you up & bring you to their office to complete paperwork & pick up the car. Those closest include Best Deal, Hertz, Budget, & Ace as I remember.

I would suggest you do get a small car, easiest to get around with.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental suggestions?

We vacationed 11/29-12/13 and used Tropicana Car Rental. By booking in advance, for $25 per day we got a Toyota Yaris with 8K miles. The beauty of Tropicana is this: they meet you at the airport and walk you and your luggage 200 ft. over to the parking lot to your rental car. Then, Mickey drove us out of the airport and we dropped him off half-way to the car rental office which is across from the Atrium Hotel. You fill out forms and in 10 minutes you are done. For the return, you drive to the airport and leave the car, keys and parking stub locked in the car in the same parking lot you picked it up from, 200 ft from the airport entrance. There is no easier way. Last year I used Thrifty, paid more and had to haul luggage on the bus both ways, wait for people, etc. Not this time. I got Tropicana's info off of Jeff Berger's SXM website, a must read for those going to St. Maartens. I will use Tropicana next for next years trip. Have a great time.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental suggestions?

Hey thanks for that Jeff Berger site.I've never heard of him before. Also thanks for letting us know the price of the car! Good to be able to do a little comparison shopping!

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
437 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental suggestions?

Without a doubt we would recommend Thrifty Car Rental. Best rental on the island in our opinion. Large fleet to choose from, with surprisingly professional and courteous personalized service. Email the manager and jagjpersaud@sxmthrifty.com to get the best rates and deals. Hes a great guy.

8. Re: Car rental suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten