We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ready for this one?

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Ready for this one?

So my husband says "Fine you want to snorkle at these places ...these places these TA are telling you to snorkle...but what the heck do we do with all our "stuff" wallets/$yadda ,,Comments about leaving stuff in car and theft,, ok bring it on ..we rent a car..go somewhere really neat.. go snorkeling...my repy would be??

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ready for this one?

People do this all the time and find solutions to these questions. You will too!

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ready for this one?

Not sure if you're asking for suggestions on where to snorkel, where to rent a car, or how to make sure the stuff you leave in the car does not get stolen.

If the latter is your main concern, don't be putting your valuables in the trunk when you reach your destination. Have them in the trunk before you get there. Then when you arrive at the beach all you do is park, get out of the car, grab your beach bag that has all your snorkeling gear out of the back seat, lock the doors and head to the beach.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ready for this one?

Don't take too much "stuff". If your going snorkeling, buy a waterproof pouch from a dive shop to keep your room & car keys,cell phone, credit cards, & cash in. Leave your jewels at home or in the hotel OFFICE safe. If you must have pics of the beach, bring disposable camera. Your beach towels and such should be safe left behind. Just don't leave your wallets and valuables behind. There are theives on St. Maarten, so just don't have or leave anything that they can steal for a profit. They don't want your stuff, they want the money your stuff can be sold for. Also realize you will be able to find a trustworthy couple to keep an eye on your lesser valuables at most beaches. No matter what you plan to do each day, plan ahead and take ONLY what you think you will need. St. Maarten is the greatest couples vacation we have found, too good to pass up just because of the posts about theft. Just read the recommendations on these posts for safety and you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ready for this one?

Thanks for the good idea about the waterproof container for keys etc. We have to go out to buy fins today anyway so we will see what is available. I also like the "less is better" idea and hopefully our room will have an in room safe. If I remember correctly one time when snorkeling a barracuda was following us because of my shiny ring..so having said that- another good reason to leave the "jewels" in the safe.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ready for this one?

We have a hard case that comes with a long kind of rope to put around your neck and swim with it. It looks like a small cigarette case.

Under no circumstances should you leave anything in your car. We always take just what we need, books, water, towels and then money and keys in this case.

Have fun!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ready for this one?

Yes, agree - never leave anything in an unatteneded vehicle - makes no difference when you put an item in the trunk before - during - after vehicles are always at risk of a breakin when left alone.

Also always lock the vehicle. Leaving a vehicle unlocked may void any insurance coverage you may have - check with the rental agency for their policy to be sure.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ready for this one?

the small waterproof containers are excellent. you can also purchase inexpensive disposable waterproof cameras. i also have a pair of flipflops that have a secret compartment in the sole for a key and a few bills. i found them on the web last year. sorry don't remember the site but have seen them available a few places.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ready for this one?

Barracudas are very inquisitive fish. They often follow you but not to worry. They love to stare you down and show off their sharp teeth. Then they just fin off into the blue. I always wear somthing shinny to atract the fish for better pictures.

point
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ready for this one?

where is the best places to snorkle on the island and has anyone taken a snorkling charter

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ready for this one?

Good snorkling can be had at Pinel, Dawn beach, Little Bay, Bea Rouge and others. Good snorkle tours go out of Pelican marina booked through Aqua Mania at Pelican Marina. Some go to Little Bay, Prickly Pear and Creole Rock of Grand Case.

Mentioned in this post
Dawn Beach
Dawn Beach
500 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Little Bay
Little Bay
151 Reviews
Anguilla
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten