We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi vs car rental

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
taxi vs car rental

I know there are varying opinions on taxi vs car rental, however we will be staying 4 nights in Anse Marcel and are mostly looking to relax there. We do plan on having dinner in Grand Case and maybe one afternoon going to Orient and/or Marigot. Would it make sense to use taxis for dinner in Grand Case and rent a car for one day to do a little more island exploration?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi vs car rental

It's a no brainer. Rent a car. Car rental rates are very reasonable. Relying on taxis would be too aggravating for my vacation experience.

Anse Marcel is remote so you will need transportation for food shopping, beach exploration and other activities.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi vs car rental

Thanks for your reply. I guess I did not ask the question correctly though. This trip will be short and we really plan on spending most of our time at the beach in Anse marcel because all we want to do is rest/relax. We live in NYC and very used to taking taxis and having a car actually seems more stressful in some ways. If we were staying longer and wanted to explore the entire island I would definitely rent a car. I guess what I am asking is will it be easy to get taxis to go back and forth from Anse Marcel to Grand Case each night for dinner? I prefer to not drive at night after after having a few drinks. How much would a taxi cost?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi vs car rental

It is a short drive from Marcel Cove to Grand Case so the fare should not be all that much. Rates are fixed by law and should be posted at the airport taxi stand.

You hotel front desk can call a cab for you and the restaurant can do the same for the return trip.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi vs car rental

I normally suggest getting a car rental but in your case a taxi would work just fine.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
437 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi vs car rental

Definitely a car rental. Use Thrifty Car Rental. Email the manager Jag at jagjpersaud@sxmthrifty.com for great rates. You'll be much better off with a rental.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi vs car rental

Have to agree with Scubaman. I would almost always recommend a rental but in your situation, I think the cab would be your best bet considering you want to relax. Have fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi vs car rental

We were there for a full week in November and used Taxi's the entire time. We got the name of one, told him what we wanted to do and with one exception, drove us around all week.

We didn't want the stress of driving at night and drinking, and even though it may have cost us a bit more, our peace of mind was well worth it.

IN
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi vs car rental

We stayed in Grand Case for a week and took taxis and buses everywhere - Phillipsburg, Marigot, Orient Beach. They are really inexpensive and we really enjoyed talking to the taxi drivers and locals on the bus. That was a worthwhile experience in itself. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful - very different from NYC taxi drivers.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi vs car rental

I am struggling with the same issue as genio67, however, we will be staying in the Anse Marcel area for 6 nights. There will be 4 of us and we only require transportation on some nights for dinner or to visit Orient beach and Marigot. Does anyone know if the taxi's charge per person or by the ride? Also, is it hard to find parking in Grand Case and is it free? Any input would be appreciated!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi vs car rental

Taxi rates are based upon distance, time of day and luggage. Rates are posted at the airport taxi stand and are fixed by law.

Parking for a small charge is available in the center of town (Grand Case) this would be the best of the bunch. California restaurant has its own lot and is free for guests.

It is a short ride over from Marcel Cove to Grand Case.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten