We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime/Safety report

Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Crime/Safety report

My husband and I decided to spend 2 wks. on the island a year after our first trip there. We arrived at a condo that we rented in Pelican Bay area. This was a great area by the way, if you want to be close to a lot of things going on. However~ midway through our trip....feeling pretty comfortable w/the area....we arrived back to our condo around midnight. We were staying on the second floor w/a balcony and thought nothing of keeping our screen door open for some fresh air while we slept. Around 3 am my husband awoke thinking he had heard something~ the screen door was open slightly~ although at the time he didnt realize someone had climbed up two stories....let themselves into our room....stolen not only my purse w/a camera...cell phone....cash....but the keys to our rental car~ We are now dealing w/the insurance companies about the car which has not yet been found.....as well as the loss of our belongings.....as well as the idea of what this scnenario "could" have been.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime/Safety report

That is most unfortunate for you. We always keep our windows shut and secured. We do the same at home.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime/Safety report

I am truly sorry to hear about your incident. I would have figured you would have been safe being up two floors as well. The ocean breeze is quite inviting and I would have done the same.

It seems that there has been a rash of these incidents in the Simpson Bay area of late.

I don't know why all these cars are being stolen. Car break ins tend to be common but stolen cars are exceptionally rare. The island is pretty small. Can you let us know who you rented from? It seems certain companies have up ticks in stolen cars when the economy falls so the board can see if there is a repetitive trend.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime/Safety report

unfortunately two floors is nothing for someone to climb and also unfortunately it is not safe to leave your screen door open unless you are on a higher floor.

I am sorry this happened to you

Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime/Safety report

The car rental co. was U-Save. They've been very helpful in the regard of getting us another car right away, and dealing w/the paperwork. I do have some concerns as to how it will be handled...as the detective who's handling the case said that there have been some problems w/the insurance companies disputing the crimes....therefore leaving the individual to pay the expense. At this point we've been charged (to our credit card) 6,000.00 for a haundi getz. We now have to dispute the charges through our credit card co. and let the insurance companies fight it out.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime/Safety report

So sorry this happened to you. Please don't let it ruin your entire trip. As stated, 2nd floor is an easy climb and locking up at night is a must. My Dad is down there now and his car was stolen last month.

(different rental company). We stay on a second floor condo and we lock up tight at night, whenever we leave the condo, even while we are there. If you are in the shower, they can still come in and grab whatever is laying about, including car keys. It is a shame that you have to take these precautions while trying to relax on vacation, but it is better to be vigilant and protect yourselves and your belongings.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime/Safety report

Thank goodness everyone is ok and no-one got hurt. That is the most important thing. What a terrible thing to experience on vacation. I've heard of many break ins in St. Martin condos and unfortunately another story about how everything should be locked up, out of site. One should not have to worry about such things, after all it is vacation and it's nice to sleep with just the screen.

7. Re: Crime/Safety report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin