We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copy your passports!!!

Van Wert Ohio
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Copy your passports!!!

Some friends of ours just back from St Maarten. My husband and I are going to St Maarten May 9. She just called and told us that the day they were coming home, they went to the airport to check in and were early. So they came back to the hotel to eat breakfast. They put there carry on bag in the trunk of there rental car. While they we were eating breakfast somebody broke in the trunk and stole there bag. We are talking broad daylight. In the carry on was there passports, cell phone, I-pod and etc.

His wife had made a copy of there passports and kept them in her purse. That is only way they got home. Just be careful they say that crime is definitely up.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copy your passports!!!

The key thing to remember for all who read this is NEVER NEVER leave anything in the rental car unattneded, NO MATTER WHAT - mskes no difference day or night - always assume someone is watching and waiting for their opportunity.

Many years ago we did the exact same thing, we were very lucky that only $500 was stolen from our rental trunk, this was when we were new and uninformed and off guard.

PS Passport copies are a must, always make them and carry them in a different place from your passports and keep a copy of your PC. Good advice.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copy your passports!!!

I don't care where you go,SXM or any where in the world, never leave your passport anywhere but in the safe or on your body. Always travel with copies of anything important. PERIOD

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copy your passports!!!

Geeesh! NEVER, NEVER, EVER, leave anything in the trunk of your car!! Keep your passports in the safe until you leave for the airport! And keep them on your person, don't even think of putting them in your luggage! All of us on this forum cannot stress this enough! This does not only happen on SXM but a lot of other islands have very much the same problem. It's a no brainer for thieves!

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copy your passports!!!

I would think this would be obvious by now by anyone who has done any research. We would never leave passports in our luggage while we went anywhere.

Interesting that the op has been a member since 2007, but this is what they choose to be their 1st post.

new england
Level Contributor
265 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copy your passports!!!

Ha....sounds like everything's been perfect until now!

Never leave anything of value (passports get big bucks!) away from your eye's view. We tell our children this and don't follow our lead! Doesn't matter where you are.....DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE AWAY FROM YOUR EYESIGHT!!

In addition to copying your passport copy your credit cards and license as well.

Yes, crime is everywhere and growing in SXM. Sad.

Cheers,

Contessa

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copy your passports!!!

Sorry to hear about that. it seems like someone saw them put the bag in the trunk and went after it.

As everyone has mentioned keeping copies... I personally would scan it and have copies of your passport and credit cards in a secure online account that you can always access and print out anywhere there is internet. Keeping copies of a passport is a bit of a hassle anyway.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
273 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copy your passports!!!

Why is it a hastle to copy-carry & keep a copy of your passport-- Versus finding an internet cafe to print a copy stored on the internet,if and when you need it. Printing a copy on an 8&1/2 X 11---folding it and storing in sandwich sized zip-lock bag then keeping it in a "prepared travel kit"---another zip-lock bag --- for things of value----such as jewelry--money--copy of driver's license---ete--etc an locked in a safe?

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copy your passports!!!

Copies are fine. Not only do I carry copies, I scan and e-mail copies to myself prior to trip. If I need them, I can always copy from e-mail account.

Mpls. MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copy your passports!!!

The comments you read in regard to watching your personal belongings seems so obvious, and yet when you have never been a victim of a crime ~ its difficult to think the way criminals do. The post's most certainly make people aware that you need to keep anything of value either on your body or copies of it to be able to escape the madness. I was a victim this past March on the island~ and I'm still dealing w/an issue from someone climbing over a 2 story balcony in the middle of the night to rob me and take our rental car. ( funny that its never been found on a 7 mi. island ) I have messages that were left on my cell phone that was stolen stating how many rooms that the person can see to "break in to easily". Keep your guard up~ day and night.

10. Re: Copy your passports!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 07:33