We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Martin with kids

DC
3 posts
Save Topic
St. Martin with kids

We will be traveling to St. Martin/Maarten with our three year old next week and staying at Captain Olivers. Any suggestions for cheap, kid-friendly eats (local cuisine is preferred)? Kids activities? Also does anyone know of any establishment that has snorkeling lessons for kids? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Captain Oliver's Hotel
Captain Oliver's Hotel
405 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
OIB, NC
Level Contributor
729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Martin with kids

The Butterfly Farm is nearby. Best to go in the morning. Pay one price and it's good for multiple visits during your stay. There are nearby pizza places & rib places. Don't know about snorkle lessons, but I see many children with masks on at the beach. Give a kid a mask & they will busy for a long while! There is also a zoo in P-burg.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Martin with kids

the zoo and the butterfly farm are both very nice for kids.

there are many restaurants on the island that are kid friendly although most do not have kids menus.

for great local food and I think a kids menu too, go to Yvette's Restaurant in Orleans..about 15 minutes away by car from your hotel.

Mama's Pizza is 5 minutes away and has great pizzas .

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Martin with kids

This is from Aquamania's website:

"PLAYSTATION 4 KIDS" It is the brainchild of owner Mike Yates, and lends some much needed entertainment on island for kids. "Playstation" is a converted catamaran that hosts swings, slides, monkey bars, paddles boats and a floating trampoline. I've personally seen it and it looks like a lot of fun. It presents quite a sight out there in Simpson Bay. Playstation operates daily from 9.30am to 5pm. The cost is $15 pp for 3 hours of play and kids 12 and under need to be accompanied by an adult."

See also this link.

www.stmaarten-activities.com/index.php…

My kids were 6 and 8 last summer, and loved every minute of the 3 hours on Playstation. I had at least as much fun as they did if not more.

Mentioned in this post
Simpson Bay
Simpson Bay
St Martin / St Maarten
DC
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Martin with kids

Thanks for the useful advice! We are really excited to go for the first time to St. Martin and look forward to being able to explore it as a family. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Martin with kids

There are places called lolos. These are basically simple BBQ places that are as casual and inexpensive as you can get. It's almost like being in someone's backyard. As a matter of fact of of these lolos is actually in someone's yard (Johnny B Under the Tree). Since you will be staying near Oyster Bay, I suggest you go to Grand Case where there are several lolos. "Talk of Town" and "Sky's the Limit" are two of them.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
1,248 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Sky's the Limit
Sky's the Limit
1,019 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Martin with kids

BTW, don't get the idea that they only have ribs. You can get lobsters and other items there as well. And to avoid confusion, lolos is the plural. One is a lolo.

United States
Level Contributor
31 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Martin with kids

Some beaches are not suitable for 3 year olds due to surf conditions - Baie Rouge is one - but there are many that are well suited for such ages - Orient Beach, Le Galleon, Grand Case - others. I do not think a 3 year old can snorkel with safety. A three 3 old can use water gogggles and see the undersea fish just as well without the dangers - get a pair of goggles before you go. Sun is tring as well so use plenty of sunscrre or better yet, use a swim shirt (could only get them years ago from Australaia on internet but Sears has them now and they are quite comfortble) like we do to protect skin from sunburn - it can ruin a trip for a few days for a 3 year old - I speak from experience.

Mentioned in this post
Baie Rouge
Baie Rouge
458 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
DC
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Martin with kids

Thanks everyone. We got a swimsuit from Sears and huge sunhat, and as our kid is very fair skinned, we plan on putting sunscreen on every hour or so and not being out in early afternoon.

The lolos sound great - can't wait to try them. Thanks for the suggestions re: snorkeling. We'll see how it goes - I'll come back to report how it went!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Martin with kids

The beach at Pinel is very calm with a gentle slope. Little if any surf. See kids there all the time.

United States
Level Contributor
31 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Martin with kids

Sunscreen may not be sufficient for fair skinned little persons who tend to stay in the sun most of the day - a swim shirt is highly reommernded ot use of hats and tee shirts to protect from the strong Caribbean sun

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten