We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonesta Great Bay - help!

Stamford, Ct
Level Contributor
750 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sonesta Great Bay - help!

Hi - I am one of those people who was scheduled to go to Cancun this weekend. Have decided not to take a chance and travel agent gave me a price on this resort. I am not familiar with St. Maarten at all so I would appreciate any help. Is the beach nice? We are beach bums. What about things to do downtown? Please help!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

I cannot comment on the hotel but some have enjoyed their stay there. I understand that the beach is nice there. It's close to Philipsburg for good restaurants and duty free shopping. St Martin is nothing like Cancun (as a matter of fact, much, much better). My advise is to rent a car and explore the island. It has a French and Dutch side, both different but equally as nice. Beautiful beaches on both sides with beach bars, fantastic restaurants. Ferries available to visit nearby islands. Many first timers become "addicted" to the island and return year after year (as we have!). Any questions? Ask. Many on this forum will give you sound advice. Enjoy your trip!

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

the sonesta great bay is a 3 star hotel I believe. it is more than adequate but nothing fancy. the beach is nice there. it is an easy walk downtown to stores and restaurants and beach bars.

at night the town closes up and is pretty quiet though.

although on the weekends, on the boardwalk there is often music.

Most definitely rent a car.

you can drive to many of our 36 other beaches and really enjoy yourselves.

also st maarten is full of wonderful restaurants so you can feast out every night.

I would not recommend you to take the meal plan at the hotel for that reason..

Levittown
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

I am doing the same thing I hated given in to the hysteria but now I am thrilled that I have changed my plans and now I am going to St. Maarten I am staying at the Sonesta Maho anyone have anything to say about this place.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

If your beach bums than rent a car and visit:

Orient Beach

Pinel

Bue Rouge

All nice beaches with different things to offer.

Stratford
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

Sue:

Sonesta Maho doesn't have a beach even though they say Beach Resort. We stayed there 4 years ago & walked everyday to Mullet Beach. You should be okay with this as we were.

Levittown
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

What no beach at the Sonesta Maho how far is the Mullet Beach. Is this a least a nice hotel???

Stratford
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

It is a short walk. You walk through an area where a resort once was many years ago. It was demolished from a hurricane. You pass a small store to buy beer or there is a bar on the beach.

The hotel is nice. We are very patient people, but the service was very slow for beverages & we went mid April. We just bought our own & took it wherever. We now rent a villa in Simpson Bay..much better. St Maarten is so beautiful. Like the other posters said..rent a car & see all the gorgeous beaches. I hope this helps?

Levittown
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

Yes that helps a lot I just want to go with my 2 daughters and relax and St Maarteen sounded great for a last minute change from Riveria Maya. I will take you advise and rent a car and see all we can. Did you ever take a ferry to Anguilla?

Stratford
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

Yes, we did. The beach is so beautiful.

10. Re: Sonesta Great Bay - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2009, 05:40
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten