We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Third trip to St. Martin planned next month but the more I read the more uncomfortable I'm feeling about the island. I just read the last few days' news on thedailyherald.com and it seems like SXM has been/is sliding into a serious crime situation. When merchants in the main city close down for a couple days and protest in front of the gov't building, uh, that's not good (murders, roberies). After our last visit in '98 I had read that after a couple of the nastier hurricanes rolled through there was a major uptice in violent crime. Seems like they've yet to get a handle on it. I read the US State Dept. wants to put the island on the "crime advisory" list? And that Julianna airport is telling the airlines they can't refuel there because the last few shipments of jet-fuel haven't passed mustard? Huh?? Shhessh. Not making me feeling great about driving around w/ my Penn State hat in the rental car or being in my hotel at night during low season. Not thrilled about cxl'ing and losing miles/$$ but I'm debating it.

toronto
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

I think you are being an alarmist. If you don't feel safe downtown, don't go there, problem solved.

There are areas in lots of cities where people should avoid and do, but that doesn't mean you have to move or cancel.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

I've been to SXM 10 times and I have never felt unsafe. However, I just came home from Jamaica and felt extremely unsafe there!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Living in the Caribbean I can say a lot of crime in the islands is local on local. Do not leave anything in your car, lock windows and sliders when OUT of the room and sleeping. you will be fine.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

a few comments to the OP post.

we have a crime problem but the events of this past week were a most unusual occurrence. A businessman was killed. This happened at his home not in Philipsburg but obviously the island residents were upset and concerned.

There is always an increase in crimes this time of year, I am sorry to say. This happens on every island during the low season, I think, when people are laid off and money is tight..

It is usually not violent crime though..more break ins primarily.

It is not true that the US state department wants to put SXM on the watch list. That has been checked out by our authorities apparently and they have been informed it is not true.

The truth is that, while we do have a crime problem, thousands of tourists pass through here every

day with no problems..

Barbara

EC Maryland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Well, I refuse to worry! We are leaving on the 19th for two weeks, 2 families and 4 boys ages 10 -14... so I will post when we get back and maybe even while there!

I flew into Jamaica back in the 80's and the airport was surrounded by military... that was scarey. When I was floating on a raft in the ocean and some guy in a hollowed out tree floated to me and asked if i wanted drugs.. that was scarey!

Not worried here. staying on simpson bay and can't wait!

Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Sorry to be a downer with the post but just feeling a little let down. The last year has been stressful due to job so wife and I "settled" for a beach trip back to SXM instead of a more elaborate Italy/Mediterranean trip to just relax. Now it just seems that every aspect of our trip requires security considerations to be at the forefront: 1. Rent the French car because the Dutch ones have the plate indicating it's a rental, therefore more of a target. 2. had to pay $50 more a night to not be on the ground floor of our hotel 3. can't bring my Tag watch or even wear wedding band on vaca (much less buy anything nice on Front St.) 4. can't leave so much as an umbrella lying in plain view in the car 5. can't go to any beach too remote 6. have to now worry about being stranded at julianna 'cause their fuel sucks 7. bandits on scooters roving the island like it's Swat valley 8. cops w/ submachine guns necessary in Marigot? 9. "only break-in's" not comforting at 3am in your smallish hotel room 10. this: thedailyherald.com/news/…watchlistm006.html

I'm not a baby, 6'2" beefy marathoner. But my wife isn't.

Things just seem dicey enough to cast a pall over the experience and that's not what vacation is about, is it?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,681 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

nonamer

Have you thought of Walt Disney World? They are running specials.

Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Nah, I hear retirees suffering portfolio losses now knocking over ice cream trucks and heisting people in golf carts.

Ok ok I get it. And I've seen the previous threads imploring the doomsdayers to just can it.

But I think this is an appropriate venue for exactly this type of discussion.

So....., ultimately we'll go, be careful, and I'm sure have a great time just like our last 2 trips.

Apologies.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

I see you live in Maryland, although I don't know where:

This from the baltimoresun.com/news/…4060018.story

"In the past several months, people have been shot in front of the Belvedere, stabbed during a disturbance at the Inner Harbor that prompted restaurant owners to keep patrons inside, and others have been beaten on downtown streets for no apparent reason. On Thursday, a man was shot and killed near Oriole Park."

I live in Bermuda, tranquil, sleepy hollow, right??

royalgazette.com/siftology.royalgazette/…

This country is in a basic lock down at the moment.

I say all this to say that crime happens everywhere. 5 shot in 24rs with 1 dying, this place is 21sq miles small and I don't feel unsafe.

I head to SXM on 15th June for a week, have rented a car and can't wait. I can't guarantee that I won't be the victim of something but if I am, I can bet that it will have been as a result of my own silliness, allowing these cowards an opportunity.

Bring on vacation!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feeling Increasingly Uneasy about our St. Martin trip....

Thanks BlahBlah!! I believe many people should read your post. Makes them believe when they see newspaper articles that crime really is everywhere. Who would have thought Bermuda!

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin