We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Champagne

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
French Champagne

How do the prices for the French Champagnes compare between SXM and the US? Other than Moët & Chandon, can anybody recommend a superb French Champagne that's readily available on the island?

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Champagne

Prices are much lower in SXM. Don't drink it so can't advise on them. I just know they are lower depending on your home state price structure. WN state is very high so everything is less in SXM for us.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: French Champagne

Typically, the alcohol prices are much cheaper on St Martin except for American wines. They carry a premium due to import costs. Champagnes once enjoyed a solid relative discount until a few years back. I used to buy a bottle of Dom to bring home once in a while to celebrate special occasions.

As of today, the champagnes are slightly cheaper. In the past it was about 20% cheaper on bottles such as Dom Perignon and Veuve Cliquet. I believe that has narrowed due to the champagne shortage over the past few years and the tremendous gain in value by the Euro.

Veuve Cliquet is my recommended champagne. It ranges from $30-40. You can check for them at the large grocery stores such as Grand Marche in Cole Bay.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Champagne

Champagne prices are about the same as you would pay at Costco. (Moet & Cliquot)

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Champagne

because of the euro, European products in general are not so cheap any more.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Champagne

DARN!! I was hoping there would be a bigger difference.

Thanks for every ones input and I'll keep an eye out for Veuve, Tylerkad. Living on a budget, we always buy the moderately priced sparkling wines at home. But for our honeymoon, I'll splurge for a good bottle of a 'true' champagne.

While were on the subject, any recommendations for a french red? We really like the earthy/mossy tones common to many french wines we've found at our local wine stores.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Champagne

Match in Marigot has some great French reds at very good prices. There are a few good wine shops too that will gladly help you pick good wines at reasonable prices.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: French Champagne

I think trying to find a great one is always exciting.

Wines from burgundy and bordeaux should fit your bill. The burgundy wines are from the pinot noir segment.

If you like a white wine, try the Sancerre. It's a fantastic white wine (non-chardonnay type) that I was introduced to while on the island.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Champagne

Tylerkad

Yes, I agree. We always trying new wines looking for a good discovery. Unfortunately, we have a habit of finding a good wine and then forgetting to write down the name, making it nearly impossible to remember which ones we really liked! Need to work on that.

We enjoy whites as well, but when it comes to the French wines, we REALLY like their reds. I'll keep an eye out for Sancerre, is that the name of the winery, domain or varietal?

BTW, I found Veuve Cliquet at a local, high-end grocery store for about $50. If it's close to $30-40 in SXM, there's a good chance we'll be trying it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: French Champagne

I have the same problem. Remembering Wine labels and the names of artists of songs I just heard.

Sancerre is a varietal. It's a form of Sauvingon Blanc from the Loire Valley. Typically, I always prefer reds however with a fish or poultry dish, I would recommend Sancerre. It is a light crisp wine that first emanates a feel for a fruity taste of a chardonnay but it is a very quick and clean taste. It does not carryover like a chardonnay in which the fruity sweet taste overtakes the taste of your meal.

It's the only white wine I will readily drink.

I forgot the name of the winemaker but if you happen to have dinner at Montrematre in Cupecoy, it will be on the wine list. That is where I was introduced to it.

Good luck for the reds. You will find some great varieties below $10 that rival domestic US wines that are priced in the $20s.

Let me know if you find a superb one. I prefer milder reds such as the Pinot Noirs if you happen to come across one.

Have an exceptional trip.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: French Champagne

I know you're asking about champagne, but I have found excellent french wine (mostly from Bordeaux) at local markets for $10-15 that would be $30+ in the US.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten