We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overpack much?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Overpack much?

I always seem to overpack. Last year we got to Roatan and I realized that I would never wear the cute dress and sandals! I didn't even need the blow dryer or the mascara! That island is TOTALLY casual, as in: shoes are optional EVERYWHERE!

So, what is overpacking for St. Martin? What did you pack for St. Martin and totally NOT need?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overpack much?

My packing list for two weeks in carry on only. No checked bags.

4 sundresses

1 pair shorts

2 skirts

4 tops or t's

hat

sunglasses

3 pairs flops. One for walking, one for beach, one with sparkels for evenings

Mix and match tops w skirts/shorts

sundresses can be used as beach coverups during the day, evenings out. Sparkle flops and a bead necklace can dress up anything!!!!

After a week, I would wash some things out in the sink if necessary

tea bags (can't get my brand here)

splenda

s few extra baggies for leftovers to the beach

a collapsible (sp) cooler

handful of clothes pins (hang up hand wash or hold beach towels to lounge chair)

I used my favorite beach bag as my second carry on

With the new TSA rules, buy sunblock, moisturizer etc when you get here.

Much more than that, you won't need it!

Oh, and a bathing suit if you so desire! LOL

Most resorts provide hair dryer, beach towels etc etc

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overpack much?

SXM is also very casual. Of course, if you want to wear your cute dress and sandals during the day or in the evening, then by all means do it, but generally, the island wear is very laid back. It is best not to wear improper attire in the evening and what I mean is, tattered clothing, bathing suits, t-shirts, short-shorts, and such but I have worn jeans and a nice top to many of the upscale places with no problem. During the day, you can wear a sundress to the store or respectable shorts (Bermuda length) and you will fit in but as was discussed on another site, the residents find it somewhat inappropriate to enter a store with a bathing suit or sloppy attire. People do it and you will not be discouraged but just so you know, this is what is generally a more proper way to dress when shopping.

I always overpack but then I remove 1/2 my stuff and repack at least 5 times before I zip the luggage. Figure on 3 pairs of shorts of varied length and color, 1 or 2 pairs of pants (one being nice and the other casual), NO socks except what you wore on the plane, a beach cover-up unless you buy it there, 1 or 2 pairs of sandals, no heels unless you intend on going very fancy but you will regret, 1 sundress, 2 or 3 dressier shirts/blouses for the evening, 2 or 3 bathing suits, 3 comfortable t-shirts, and you should be fine for a week. While you're there, you can always pick up a sundress at one of the local stores if you want something different. If going for more than 1 week, just be close to a washing machine.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overpack much?

Rule: Pack your baggage then remove half. Go to the ATM and get more money! You will need more money than clothes!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overpack much?

I like that suggestion, I will pack, then remove 75% so that I have a reason to shop!!!! Thanks for the advice everyone. I am so excited I want to start packing today!

Midwest US
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overpack much?

someone mentioned clothespins- i also bring about six feet of twine as a clothesline.

also, slide some bubble wrap- esp in a carry-on to wrap your duty-free purchases. you will be required to check your carry-on liquids at your transfer point in the US.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overpack much?

Remember most timeshare resorts don't allow laundry to be hung out on resort balconies. Hanging in the rooms is OK but not outside.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overpack much?

We are only staying 5 days so I probably won't wash anything except the swimsuit, but the clothespins are a great idea! I think I will pack a sarong instead of beach towels. They take up less room and dry so fast.

We will definatley check our bag so i can bring suntan lotion and stuff. i was going to bring my ipod to listen to at the beach, but i think i am leaving that at home. Leaving in on the beach while i swim is just asking for it to disappear. I also love the 3 flip-flop idea... now i am in search of sparkly flip flops for dressing up my sundresses at night!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overpack much?

Your resort will provide beach towels. A sarong is a great idea. Again, you don't need to check a bag just to bring lotions. You can get them all here.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overpack much?

I don't know what the problem is with checking a bag. We check two bags apiece for our three week stay. Airline doesn't charge for an international flight. Take what you want and check it. If you don't use it, no big deal but if you have it along then your not wishing you didn't leave it at home.

Besides having a bag to check gives you more room to bring things back.

Nash.Tn
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overpack much?

In response to the 2-bags ck'ed-----international flt. and no additional cost. This does not apply to US AIR-----Their ck'ed bag fees to SXM are: $15/first bag AND $25/2nd bag EACH WAY!!