We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Various Questions

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Various Questions

Hi All,

Our trip is getting closer!! We depart next Friday!! We are staying at the Radison in Anse Marcel and are renting a car. Couple questions:

1. Is there a Wednesday Farmer's Market in Marigot this time of year? What are the hours?

2. I have read lots of reviews recommending Le Petit Auberge and the love of my life wants a french experience... so this is a must. We also wanted a sunset cruise. I have read reviews recommending Aqua Mania for boat trips. So...their boat Calypso has a dinner cruise to Le Petit Auberge... which is $65pp and includes dinner at the restaurant and cocktails on the boat. Sounds like nice deal to me ... We would have to drive over to Simpson Bay for the cruise and then back after the cruise. I am not sure how much driving time that is soooo....

Would we better off with a closer sunset cruise and dinner at Auberge separately?

3. If we want to snorkel off Little Bay to see the canons and sunken boats, is that accessible by just walking to the end of the beach and swimming out from shore? We are both strong swimmers but I want to be safe.

4. Where can we enjoy the BEST live music on the island?

Thanks in advance!!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,745 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Various Questions

1) Yes, Wednesday & Saturday. They get started before dawn with produce. Later the other vendors get it going. The second group are there most of the day.

2) La Petite Auberge offers a complete dinner for about $30.00 p.p.. Take this into consideration when planning the dinner cruise. You have a fairly long drive from Anse Marcel to Simpson Bay, figure on 45 minutes +/-. May be longer with traffic delays.

3) There is a path from the foot of the hill leading up to Ft. Amsterdam that will take you to a pier used by divers. Can't say for sure if this will be good for snorkling.

4) Lots of choices listed in K-PASA magazine free at the airport arrivals building.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Various Questions

1. For the Market on Wednesday, even though during low season, parking can be tight. Go early in the AM to avoid the hassle. To reward yourself, stop in at La Sucriere (bakery) and pick up freash baked good and coffee. Or stop at La Croissanterie in Marina Port Royale for breakfast.

2. The cruise gives you both - at a reasonable price. Once you have driven to/from the Radisson during day light, the ride back up the mountain will be more familiar.

4.Calmos Cafe (Grand Case) - Sunday nights, reggae & salsa (also Thursdays)

Blue Martini (Grand Case) - Saturday night, reggae

Lady C's (Simpson Bay) - Wednesday nights, guitars and singing; starts about 9:30

Pineapple Pete's (Simpson) - Wednesday-Sunday nights, live classic rock, pops & blues

Buccaneer Beach Bar (Simpson) - Sunday evenings

Sunset Bar & Grill (Maho, end of airport runway) - Sunday evening starting about 5:00, reggae; also Fridays but not until 9:30 IMO Sunday is the better choice.

Sopranos Piano Bar (Maho)

Divi Little Bay (near Philipsburg) - Thursday night, Steel Drum Band with all you can eat ribs night at the Divi

Also, possibly the Waikiki on Orient Beach on Sunday (a DJ).

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Various Questions

One other suggestin I meant to add is once you are actually there, be sure to confirm the days and time as the music nights can change from time to time. The K-Pasa magazine can help here.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Various Questions

Thanks a bunch! As always, the advice I receive here is invaluable! 8 days to go!!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Various Questions

You should be able to see the cannons but this last May I was told that due to Omar a lot of changes took place underwater there and it wasn't as good as in the past. Worth a go though.

Cornville, AZ
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Various Questions

3) We were there 10 days a go or so and did just as Bobcat suggested BUT if you do take the path beware. Wear good shoes. That day the water was murkey and surf a little rough, I cut my toe on some wires sticking out from some broken slabs on my way out (wearing flip flops) and my husband got some urchin in a toe getting in. I think it may be easier to swim, we will next time :)

4) If you are there on a sunday - we really enjoyed the music at Enzo's - next to

Topper's in simpson bay. Sunday's from 7:30 - midnight they have great music and a fun time on the beach!

7. Re: Various Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 08:18