We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 7/14-7/20

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 7/14-7/20

Before I start, I want to thank everyone on this forum for their help in planning my trip :)

Weather: rained one full day. two days of scattered showers (mostly at night).. i got soaked walking back to my hotel from a restaurant :D

We rented a car from Hertz and drove to Grand Case Beach Club.

I was worried that we would get lost- and we did sometimes, but it was very easy to turn around and find our way to our destination.

We booked a day trip on a catamaran to Anguilla and Tintamarre through our hotel. The company was Scooby Too, but we went on catamaran named Scooby Free. It rained occasionally on that day.

Restaurants:

1. My favorite of all of the restaurants we tried was SPIGA!!!!!!!! OMG, food was soooooo incredible! We had beef carpaccio- it had a drizzle of truffle oil..yum! Lobster ravioli with vanilla bean sauce was incredible! My main dish was a beef ragu with mushrooms and tomatoes. Oh, I'm craving it right now! Prices were very reasonable too, compared to other restaurants whose food wasn't as delicious

Dollar = Euros

2. Sky's the limit- cheap, strong alcoholic drinks. Food was ok. I liked the side of spaghetti (which was really linguini) the best out of everything.

3. Auberge something... a bit pricy, and the food was good

4. California... food was pretty good- just good- not excellent. I loved the decor of the restaurant.

5. Sunset Cafe at GCBC- absolutely loved the gorgeous view of the beach. Food was great.

Beaches we loved: Pinel Island & Baie Rouge.

Snorkeling wasn't great. (I'm comparing it to Hawaii and Maldives). There were a few fish here and there. But we did see a huge manta ray swim right next to us in the shallow end in Anguilla. It freaked me out!!!

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 7/14-7/20

Thanks Monkeychi for checking in with us on your return. Glad your trip was fun and thanks also for your restaurant reviews. I have heard that, for the most part, Spiga is worth the trip.

A friend of ours is trying to decide between the Grand Case Beach Club and The Cliff and I'm trying to help him decide. I do know that they are 2 extremes. I've never been to GCBC but have always heard that it's nice so I told him this. But he looks more for the upscale and the wife doesn't mind the homey feel. How are the accomodations within the units? Are they clean and repair free? I pretty much know about The Cliff but GCBC is more of a mystery to me.

If you have the time to give me your opinion, that would be great, especially from a 1st timer (pros and cons).

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 7/14-7/20

Thanks for the trip report.

3. Re: trip report 7/14-7/20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 13:18