We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy Electronics in SXM

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Buy Electronics in SXM

Hey,

Does anyone know if it is worth it to buy a camera in St. Maarten? I want a Sony that just came out in April and was wondering if it would be much cheaper there or if they would even have it?

I don't know what to do bc I want it for the vacation.

Any help would be great thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Check the camera stores in Manhattan, they all are on line, jot down their prices so you can compare when you arrive on the island.

Make sure the camer acan be serviced in NY before you buy and that the guarantee is world wide.

Take you old camera with you one last time in case you don't find what you want on the island.

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Thanks for the tip! I already found a store in Brooklyn that has it for $100 cheaper than the Sony store in Manhattan but was wondering if generally are things that much cheaper on the island?

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

I don't think in general that things are that much cheaper here on the island any more. sometimes the prices are close but you might probably save on the sales tax or something like that.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=9810&shs=sony&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=22&Go.y=7

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Our camera was "lost" a few years ago on island. We were already contemplating upgrading a little and had done our research in the states. We bought it on island, so we could take pictures of our then vacation. It cost us $20 more than in the states - with no tax!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Pays to know what your buying. The binoculars we bought at Boolchands was the same as in the states were as the Canon G9 camera plus underwater case was a steal in SXM. About 250 less than the cheapest price in the states and that included ebay. Plus we used it for three weeks on island. Do your homework. Its easy with internet access to compare prices before you buy on island.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Electronics are not cheaper on the island. They usually have older models. You can certainly take a look but historically they are pricier than the states.

The US is still one of the best places to buy electronics.

Best Buy, Sams, BJs and Ebay is where you will find the cheapest prices.

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Thanks for all the advice!

The penthouse at...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

The prices are about the same as inNew york shops.I looked at A Nikon D200 there but bought online cheaper and I live in St. Maarten!

At Home in the UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy Electronics in SXM

Hi,

As most have said make sure you do your research before going so you know if its a bargain or not.

I was looking for a new lens for my Pentax DSLR. Whilst some of the shops did have lenses at what seemed a good price one or two were older models. I did find a DA lens though at Klass Electronics (http://www.klass-electronics.com)and saved around 60.00 GBPounds on prices here in the UK.

I'm not sure how prices on other equipment actually compared.

Have fun

JC