We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Early August 2009

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Early August 2009

Our tenth trip to St. Martin and sand gravity definitely took its toll on us, as it was a very relaxing trip.

Rented a car from Kenny’s Car Rental in advance, after a short wait outside of the airport our car arrived and checkout was very fast. The car met all of our expectation.

On the highway for only ten-minutes and the gendarmes had me pulled over in a random checkpoint stop (3:00 P.M. in the afternoon). Showed them the rental papers, and my driver license and a short two-minutes later we were off to Grand Case Beach Resort.

Our last two stays on the island have been at GCBR and all future stays will be at the resort. The resort is casual, has two nice beaches, a short drive to Orient Beach, and walking distance to the fine restaurants of Grand Case.

These are the highlights of the trip:

Best dining experience – Sunset Café on the grounds of Grand Case Beach Resort. Make a reservation so you get a table next to the water. Had two dinners at the Café and both of them were outstanding. We really liked the seafood gratin. Great complimentary, homemade cordials upon the completion of your dinner. We had mango, lemon and coconut. Coconut was our favorite.

Best appetizer – Deep Fried Brie cheese at Pegleg’s Pub and Steakhouse. (We’re from Wisconsin, what can I say). My wife looks forward all year to this appetizer, and Sean always makes you feel welcomed.

Best tropical drink – Banana Colada at the Greenhouse. Double Bubble – four coladas.

Best lunch – Baywatch (Another place that makes you feel very welcome). A close second is Rosie’s Shack on Mullet Bay (Love her chicken)

Best Dessert – Sunset Café – Molten chocolate cake.

We booked only one side trip, a 2 hour snorkel trip to Creole Rock. We booked the trip through the Water Sports Activity Center at Grand Case Beach Resort. Our “tour” consisted of the two of us and our guide. The maximum number of people they take is 6. We saw three sting rays during our outing. St. Martin is not known for its snorkeling but we were more than satisfied with our excursion.

We divided our beach time between Orient Beach (5 Days), Mullet Bay (2 days), Grand Case (2 days), and Kim Sha (1 day). A good time was had on all of them.

Looking forward to returning to the island in 2010.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Early August 2009

Thank you for posting.

I love trip reports!

Sunset Cafe is delightful.

Deep Fried Brie? Sounds interesting.

Will have to try that next trip!

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Early August 2009

Sounds like you really have your routine down. Grand Case is a great location and 10 days is now a minimum stay. As many trip reports as I have read, I always enjoy one more. Glad your Creole Rock snorkeling was a good one. We have gone out with Water Sports and also saw a lot of life, but it can be hit or miss. They were particularly good with my wife who did not swim, being at her side and pointing out what to see. Made it very comfortable for her. Agree with your opinion of Sunset Cafe and Baywatch, but might have to differ on best tropical drink - depends on what is in my hand at the moment and the view. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Early August 2009

Enjoyed your report.......Thanks for posting it......

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Early August 2009

Thank you DePere for your wonderful trip report. I, as well, love to live vicariously through others until our time arrives. We still have a short wait but time will fly by. We stay on the Dutch side at our condo as well as Royal Islander La Plage so hearing trip reports from the French side always is a pleasure. Thanks!

5. Re: Trip Report - Early August 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin