We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need an advice

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need an advice

I was considering renting a condo or a villa for a month from mid-january to mid february and "somebody" told me that at that time of the year it was really to crowded and with traffic jam(I was there in august) Is that true? Could the St-Maarteen experts help me... Would prefer the frech side like Nettle Bay. Just want to rest, no big restaurants but want also to tour easely the island.

Thanks

Caribbean Paddling
Sightseeing Tours, Water Sports, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Tropical Boat
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Boat Hire, Sightseeing Tours
new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need an advice

It's true, the traffic is pretty different in Jan/Feb. compared to August. Simpson Bay area towards the airport would be the most congested as is Marigot. Other than that, it's pretty smooth sailing. But, if you're patient it will be a wonderful vacation because SXM is worth the effort!

Good Luck!

Contessa

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need an advice

If you find a place that's located out of the mainstream, you shouldn't have any problems enjoying your stay. Try and find a section of the island that is off the beaten track. I would think that Nettle Bay would be a good choice. It's close enough to both sides to give you a nice location.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need an advice

Thanks, It help it me out alot!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need an advice

Look for a Villa in Terres Basses. Villa Harmony is a nice place to start (if available). Good Luck.

Greater Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need an advice

We rented in Terres Basse in the months of May and December. We only ever experienced traffic when we went through the middle of the island (and sometimes a bit in Grand Case). I think it's relatively easy to avoid traffic if you're looking to "just relax".

We've rented "Le Cottage" and "Azur Reve". The former is on the beach right between Long Bay and Plum Bay (though a bit craggy unless you walk up to either Long Bay near La Samanna or--in the other direction--Plum Bay, toward Bay Rouge. The latter is on the hillside with a view of Baie Rouge.

Le Cottage is a new 1 bedroom (I think it might have been built in 2006). It's beautifully appointed, clean, with an AMAZING view of sunsets into the ocean. Azur Reve is a 4 bedroom (rentable as a villa with 1 - 4 rooms), older, but very, very well maintained.

Good luck!

Manhattan
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need an advice

Hey,

Don't want to scare you but traffic is definitely far worse in January/February. It is more crowded too.

Here are some pointers to negate any fears:

-----There are many great villas you can get isolated. Terres Basses or Orient Bay will have for certain.

----- EVERYWHERE is open at that time. You get to see St. Maarten maximized during this time.

----- The weather is simply terrific. 70's all day (maybe low 80's). Really wonderful.

----- Just know when to drive. Memorize the times when the bridge opens and stay off the road during those times, and rush hour when people are going home in the afternoon. If you can do that, it is smooth sailing.

GO! Much better in January February. If you need any other advice or recommendations, don't hesitate.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
407 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need an advice

Good points jkimble23!

8. Re: Need an advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 05:17