We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

GA
4 posts
Save Topic
Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

After readings posts on different areas of St. Maarten/St. Martin, I am confused. I have only been to Orient Beach (cruise day trip) and it was gorgeous but may be too quiet for two girls traveling in March. So, I began looking elsewhere. The Holland House looks great but I am reading posts that say no one stays in Phillipsburg. Why? Is it not safe? Is it too commercialized and unattractive? Also, Sonest Maho was recommended. Is it nice? What about Grand Case? HELP..Traveling here in March and don't want to rent a car, don't want to be too removed from great restaurants and "some" nightlife, but would like a very nice beach. Am I asking too much :)?

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

Personally I would take the Maho area over Phillipsburg in a heartbeat. You have Sunset Beach on one end and Mullet on the other with night activities in the middle. Phillipsburg gets creamed by the cruise ships during the day.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

I would suggest Maho too. it has a much more active night life than Philipsburg, and there is lots to do within walking distance..

Philipsburg and the boardwalk is fun during the day..lots of action ..it's actually fun when all the cruise ships are in..... It has lots of fun beach bars but Philipsburg is pretty quiet at night..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

You mentioned travel in March. Just remember the Heineken Regatta is the first week in March (primarily Dutch side) and can get very crowded at that time. Also hotels on the Dutch side may be pretty well booked by now so I would suggest to start looking now for that hotel if you prefer to stay on the Dutch side. You may want to consider the French side. Grand Case has a few real nice hotels, most within walking distance to the great restaurants. It's high season so most of the bars will be open after dinner. Blue Martini and Calmos cafe are two that come to mind.. Also every Tuesday is Harmony Night in the town of Grand Case with live music, lots of fun, etc. during high season only.

GA
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

Thanks for the messages regarding Holland House and Sonesta Maho. If we decide to stay at Holland House, how far is Simpson Bay? It looks close.

GA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

Also LBI2SXM - Thanks for the message. I keep looking at Grand Case and the beach and area (restaurants) look intriguing. What Hotels doe you recommend? is there enough to do until Midnight? - ha ha.

Edited: 29 November 2009, 00:53
6. Re: Holland House or Sonesta Maho???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin