We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive and/or local food

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
inexpensive and/or local food

Hi there! If you've seen any of my other posts you know I'm getting very psyched for my upcoming trip (Jan 9) to SXM.

We're trying to do things as inexpensively as possible which means not eating out too often. However, when we do we'd like to do so as inexpensively as possible.

Also - I like to sample local cuisine as much as possible, but we certainly like all kinds of food.

So - let the recommendations fly! Much appreciation shall be your reward.

-Dining Dragon

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

Try the LOLO's in Grand Case (Talk of the Town etc.) or the multiple roadside stands. Good cheap local food...

We are arriving Jan. 10th for 2 weeks and will have multiple trips to T of the T for the ribs and Caribes.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

MMmm.... sounds good. I've heard about these LOLO's. Can you explain a bit more about them? Are they roadside stands (meaning no seating) or are some of them just really small "restaurants" or...?

Where is T o t T? We'll be staying at Divi Little Bay.

If the LOLOs are stands - any sit down places you would recommend for cheap but tasty?

Thanks!

-Dining Dragon

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

Staying at the Divi, Marks Place is just a short drive away. Great food, inexpensive with enough leftover for lunch the next day. Local fare, great ribs. Some do not care for the location (in a mini-mall next to the Grande March supermarket) and complain about the atmosphere. With the great food and prices, we overlook that. It's a 2 or 3 time visit for us when we are there. Yvettes, Poulet D' Orleans, Citos, Gutside, and Hilmas (little trailor on Airport Rd.) all have great, inexpensive local food. In Simpson Bay, Bavaria (German food), Tutta Pasta, Lees, Toppers and a few others are good and not expensive. Greenhouse and Chesterfields in P'burg are also good eating places. For breakfast or lunch, pick up some pastries and sandwiches to go (for the beach) at Le Sucrier or Atlantico in Simpson Bay. The French pastries are to die for! So many great restaurants, so little time. Bon Appetit.....Have a great time, you will love SXM!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

This is awesome info! Thanks!

(I'm hungry already!!!)

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

The LOLOs in Grand Case are "small restaurants"..outside, covered, with picnic tables. Grand Case is on the direct other side of the island and a reasonable ride from the Divi. Upscale and LOLOs in the same area. Nice view of Anguilla also.

Edited to add: love all the restaurants in the above post also

Edited: 28 November 2009, 22:37
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

Thanks for the explanation and the confirmation on the choices.

I've got 'em all noted!!!

-dragon

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

you have some good suggestions already. I second Mark's Place and the lo los

you also should try Yvette's restaurant in Orleans . good local food in a cute little west Indian house. they are closed Wednesdays I think

also by the bridge in Simpson Bay there is a fish market and about 5 local restaurants. we eat there often. the last place there that we ate at was Johhny B's. my husband had a huge snapper dinner, I had a huge bowl of conch and dumplings, our friends had mahi mahi, and shrimp. a few beers were consumed and the bill for the 4 of us was about 70 dollars.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

That's the second recommendations for Yvette's so that sounds like Must Go.

On of the posts above mentioned the following places:

Talk of the Town, Yvettes, Poulet D' Orleans, Citos, Gutside

Now from your post I see Yvette's is in Orleans. And Poulet D'Orleans I assume in Orleans. But where are the others?

Thanks!

-dragon

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

Gutside is on the road to Friars beach. I believe it is only open on Fri., Sat and Sun. SXMlover can give more info on that one. Citos is just outside of Grand Case (main road) alongside of the airport on the way to Orient beach before Cul de Sac. Talk of the Town is in the heart of Grand Case. If in Simpson Bay, try Karacters beach bar. Chairs and unbrella free if you order drinks or food. On a great beach, 6 Caribs on ice in a bucket $12. Tasty tapas also, reasonable prices. Next to the runway, enjoy the big jets as they come and go.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inexpensive and/or local food

Gutside is one of my favorties, and yes, it is only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Citos, Yvettes Hilmas,, Marks Place and get our votes too! Add to the list Taco Macho in SImpson Bay.

Great fish, burgers, steak etc at Buccaneer Beach Bar too. Wonderful sunsets and dinner for $10 - $14.