We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
958 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

We only have (1) day (cruise ship) visit. Were going to book Tiki Hut until we saw the awesome experience of watching the planes on Maho.

Which would be better?

How much is the taxi ride to Maho and how long does it take from the cruise pier?

Thanks!

Northern Va
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

We were there in October and there was not that much left of the beach at the end of the runway. I understand a hurricane washed most of it away last year. We found that only a couple of big planes came in later in the afternoon but since we were there closer to mid day, it was kind of lame.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
958 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

Thanks! Appreciate that feedback as we may just book another tour ... as we've only one day at this site.

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

It seems that the beach at Maho/Sunset is always fine in January when we are there. I think it replenishes itself after the storm season is over but this can change week to week.

The planes are best from 1p-4p with the huge Corsair and Air France beasts from Paris landing around 1p and 4p respectively. The are a bunch of 757's thrown in the middle.

If you are REALLY interested try this:

www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/arrivaltimes.htm

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

There are many good tours that you can take and one I would suggest would be a tour of the island with Joyce Prince. She will discuss your wants and needs and calculate a tour designed specifically for your short stay.

Here's her website:

http://www.princepersonal.com/index.htm

We have been going to the island for many years and this is one of the better tours for cruise travelers.

SXM
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

Maho beach to watch the planes is famous, but only entertaining for a half hour or so. The beach isn't that great, it comes and goes on a regular basis from tides and waves. However, if you wanted to make a day of it you could combine it with a day on Simpson Bay Beach or Mullet Bay both close by.

Tiki Hut is a great relaxing day and their crew are really good at teaching you how to snorkel. The best thing about the Tiki Hut excursion is you can snorkel for however long you want and can stay however long you want. However, the snorkeling itself in Little Bay is average - for better snorkeling I would try Pinel

Mentioned in this post
Little Bay
Little Bay
Montserrat
Cincinnati, OH area
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

We were at Maho Beach on the afternoon of 12-21-09. We (my spouse and I and our four kids ages 14 to 23) thought it was a great beach and a LOT of fun watching the planes land and take off. We enjoyed the 'spectacle' all afternoon long. The Sunset Beach bar adjacent to the beach was a fun place, too. They have signs posted at the bar stating, "Topless women at the bar drink for free." They weren't kidding either. All in all, we thought that Maho was a fun place to visit. Check out the videos on YouTube if you want to see more about Maho. Keep in mind that traffic in St Maarten in the afternoon can get pretty heavy. So, allow yourself AT LEAST 90 minutes drive time from Maho back to the ship.

7. Re: Maho Beach or Tiki Hut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 05:16