We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying necessities on the island

Muncie, IN
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying necessities on the island

Will we be able to buy things like shampoo/conditioner/sunscreen on the island? Just wanting to save room in the suitcase by not packing some of these bulky items. Will it be better to buy them on the island?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying necessities on the island

http://www.legrandmarche.net/

Yes, what ever you may need and things you may have not seen before...at duty free prices...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying necessities on the island

With all due respect, you ask if you can buy sunscreen on a tropical island? Also people who live on St Maarten have to buy necessities as well. I can't think of anything that you would need there that you can't buy. Supermarkets such as Le Grande Marche have everything you will need, including wine and liquor.

Muncie, IN
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying necessities on the island

You are right about that, I wasn't trying to be ignorant about people on the island not needing those things as well. Sorry, I get so caught up in planning things out that I guess I didn't think about how I posted that! I should have just asked if it was going to be more practical to buy them at home instead of going to the supermarket and if it would be cheaper. Thank you guys for your help! :)

Northern Va
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying necessities on the island

I understand where you are coming from. Some small islands don't have the development and supermarkets that SXM has. An island like Jost van Dyke in the BVIs just has a little shop with not much variety in the way of hair care and other personal items. SXM on the other hand is quite a developed island with all the amenities of any city around. My wife and I usually just travel with a carry-on so we have to buy most things when we arrive. TSA would not want us endangering everyone with a bottle of shampoo or sunscreen.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying necessities on the island

we even have drugstores here LOL

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying necessities on the island

We have stayed in terres basses 4 times & now are going to be in a villa in anse marcel. we would go to a market, it sounde like grand marche maybe near sandy ground or nettle bay. Is there something similar near anse marcel?

Not familiar with markets there. Thx!

Northern Va
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying necessities on the island

I am not sure if there is a GM right at your location but in reality it is worth it to just drive to one anyway. If you want a full American style store with all your needs this will be it. The island is not that big. I drive much further to go to a grocery store here at home.

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying necessities on the island

Hello, thx for the info, we will ck it out!!

I saw on a map there is a US Import in Grand Case. That is the market we frequented in Sandy Ground while staying in Terres Basses. The GM sounds great though...

While I'm at it, can you recommend any easy, reliable car service that will meet us at the airport with the car. We have used Alizes in the past & prestige value.Thanks again.

Jenni

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying necessities on the island

US Import is now US Supermarche (I thinks that's the new name). They have just opened one in Hope Estate - just on the new roundabout at the entrance to Anse Marcel.

10. Re: Buying necessities on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 05:16