We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Can anyone suggest a reliable car rental agency to work with? We would be picking up the car at the airport. Thanks!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

See replies here on same page (below) or use the search function next to your question. Type in "car rental" and you will have several threads to read.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

There are several reputable auto rentals on the island. However, after a poor experience with Tropical/Tropicana, I would go with a name that is known in the US. They picked us up in a new Corolla (we were supposed to get a 2 year old model) with instructions to meet them at their office. The car had NO gas, the "idiot" light was on. We had to buy gas to get to their office. Their instructions on getting there were very vague and we had to ask a local how to find them....on Billy Folly Road, but no signs indicating who they were. When we got there they tried to charge us double what we had been quoted because they didn't have a 2 year old car available at that time. I booked this on 8/25 for a 10/23 arrival date. When I pulled out my email confirmation, they told us to leave with the car and to call them with a room # so they could exchange the vehicles the next day. Not wanting to wait in my room on my vacation we returned the next day and switched it out. This car also had NO gas again! The auto also had no spare tire.

On Sunday the 30th we were supposed to meet the rental person at the airport at 10:00 a.m. Of course, no one was there when we got there. I asked a security guard at the airport what to do and he said he was a friend of the owner, and that he wouldn't be there for at least 2 hours. and to leave the car in a parking lot with the keys under the mat. He said he would let the owner know where it is. I had to do that, but was uncomfortable with this.

I posted this to the traveltalkonline.com website and was told that this was not a typical experience. However, a few others had the same problem with the same agency.

Just beware and use someone you know.

By the way, my daughter works for an auto rental company, but this agency is not located in St. Martin. She couldn't believe what happened to us.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

We've used Tropicana and the car rental at Divi Little Bay, but I didn't feel I could recommend Tropicana either. We had a good experience with Mickey at delivery and drop off, but the car itself was older and not clean and we paid the same price as we would have for a new vehicle in perfect condition.

Next time we would use Hertz, Avis or another known name as well.

Sorry if my first response wasn't helpful but often a search will give you more than you expect.

HMP
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

We just came back and used Unity Car Rental (off simpson bay road) for the first time. Michael didn't charge us for any extra drivers (6 in total) and quickly responded when we did have a minor problem with our van.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I used Prestige in july and had no problems. They are at the airport, but I picked up my car at my hotel - GCBC. The cost was $25/day. They were very friendly and helpful.

Montreal
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

AAA - look on Traveltalkonline.com. St.Maarten - TTOL Sponsors site.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Another vote for AAA - the best for us