We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut/Nut allergies experience

toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Hi,

My 10 year old has life threatening allergies (really really severe) to peanuts/ tree nuts/sesame. Travel/Restaurants is always challenging. Does anyone have any experiences to share? We'll be going Mar 14

Thanks

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Personally I have not had this experience but have read the same questions from acquaintenances who were in the same boat. The suggestions ranged from sticking to safe foods and going to the more upscale restaurants where when the waiter takes your order he/she understands and is guaranteed to pass this information on to the chef. Do not trust the smaller places to take an order and then expect them to omit the peanut/sesame seed ingredients. The chefs behind the scenes may not understand or even get the message. There are many smaller places that I have gone to and asked for something special and it doesn't come that way.

Since this is a child in question, try to pack something when you go out to eat and then let the child pick on items you know are safe. But obviously be prepared with the proper meds just in case and know exactly where the emergency medical places are for those just in case moments.

Edited: 02 February 2010, 12:46
Massachusetts
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

We have a son with a severe fish allergy and always have our epipen with us. Unfortunately, he does not get to enjoy many of the amazing dinners we partake in. Antoines on Front Street in Philipsburg has been very receptive to our allergy requests. Although, some of the restaurants off the beaten path, we don't even risk it. We pack food for him purchased from the grocery store, (or feed him ahead of time) and the owners don't mind if he doesn't order from the menu.

toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Thank you - we carry epi-pens too - restaurants are challenging at home in Canada too. We are practicing how to say all the nuts, and sesame in French.

Toronto area
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Hi!

We too have a child (9 year old son) with severe peanut/mixed nut allergies. We are flying to St. Maarten on March 16th. First time travelling abroad with our son.

I can recommend to call your Airline and check what is being served on your flight. I can aslo suggest to have them make an annoucement before boarding and for the general public refraining from bringing peanuts on the flight due to a sever allergy. I hope most would understand.

We are from the GTA and are travelling on JetBlue through Buffalo and they have been accomodating so far!!!

We have decided to stay away from typical hotel and all-inclusive packages. We are renting a house with it's own kitchen so we can control some of his meals.

My wife has spoken to someone on the island and told us most product is imported from US and Europe, twice a week. She told us you can find products from US that are peanut-free (ie. cereals/snacks/ breads etc..). We also plan on packing some food from here to bring with us.

I hope this helps and you have a great and safe trip.

Regards,

CundFra Family

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Cunfrafamily, To ask all passengers on an airline to refrain from eating any nut products on board is asking a lot. Pretty tough to control and a lot to ask as lots of people buy take out or bring snacks from home to eat on the plane prior to boarding. I for one am a nut eater and bring on board.

Drive to a port and go on a cruise instead or charter a private plane to your destination.

Edited: 20 February 2010, 18:12
toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Hi,

We have travelled many times with our daughter. She is severely allergic. It is scary but we have managed the risk throughout and had no problems. We have been to Disney World two times and they are totally accomodating. We did the meal package with them and found each and every chef and restaurant accomodated. It allowed Lauren to try food, like sushi and mexican that she had never tried before.

We also went on a carnival cruise and they were really good as well. WE didn't do buffets of course , the restaurants made us feel very comfortable. We even were brave and tried an all inclusive int he DR, that was a little hard and had to communicate in Spanish but we managed to keep the risk very low.

Best of luck on your trip.

toronto
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

To sxmscubaman;

I am appalled at your ignorance and selfishness. Do you not think that one day in your future you or your family might have a medical issue to deal with? If you needed special accomodation because of wheelchair or requiring oxygen, would you not want people to help?

Even being selfish, if someone has an allergic reaction on a flight, the flight would need to land at an airport immediately. Don't you think it makes more sense to avoid that disruption?

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

Drfamily, This is not a medical emergency that a whole plane should have to deal with. Knowing beforhand that there is a peanut or any other alergy issue should not subject the restrictions on all other passengers. Oxygen, medical issues or wheelchairs are delt with on many flights and do not inconvienence other passengers with restrictions. I have traveled with a broken leg in a cast and people sitting with me were not asked by me to do anything to help me.

Edited: 21 February 2010, 00:12
Toronto area
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

To SXMScubaman,

I wish you or family will never have to deal with a severe food allergy. This is a severe medical condition that needs attention.

Currently, most school boards do not allow these type of foods (and others) in schools any longer.

Not that long ago, smokers would enjoy a cigarette during a meal in a restaurant and now must refrain from doing so for the health of others around them.

I have a hard time with your comments and ignorance suggesting that I charter my own plane and compare this life threatening allergy to a broken leg??? Give your head a shake.

A plane is a scary place to be in thousands of feet in the sky when you are breathing recirculated air and have an allergy.

All I suggested in the previous comments was to request the Airline make an announcement and I hope that well-educated people would understand the severity and refrain from eating peanuts for only 4-5 hours versus the life of a child.

I would imagine you would not like to sit next to someone on a plane with a loaded gun or contagious disease. This is the same for someone with allergies sitting next to a peanut eating passenger.

Food allergies are unfortunately becoming more and more prominent and educating the public about their severity should be paramount when it involves the safety of your child !!!

I hope you can understand - save your peanuts to when you land.

Regards,

CundFraFamily

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peanut/Nut allergies experience

You have expressed your take on this and I have also. We will never agree so lets drop it. Have a nice trip.