We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals restaurant?

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Locals restaurant?

We are looking for a restaurant that locals frequent instead of one that is used by and caters to tourists. In Aruba we found a small place that is right next to the Balashi Brewery --- and is nothing to look at but was good and cheap (bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/…index.htm). Does anyone know of such a place in St. Maarten?

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals restaurant?

If you tell us on what side of the island you are staying, I'm sure we could come up with a few local places. A few that come to mind are Hilma's Windsor Castle in Simpson/Cole Bay....Freedom Fighter's near Philipsburg..Poulet D'Orleans in Orleans. There are quite a few more but the names escape me. If you are REALLY adventuresome, just take a drive around the island and when you're hungry, just stop at any of the hundreds of small restaurants that dot the island. You may discover one that us repeat visitors never had the chance to try. Another recommendation would be to ask some of the staff at the place you are staying. As one of the Food Network shows used to state (I think it was "$30 a day"), asking the residents of the country you are visiting where to eat will almost always get you the best local recommendations.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals restaurant?

Lots of locals eat at Marks next to Grand Marche by the round a bout.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals restaurant?

www.best-stmartin.com/detail.asp…

Many "locals" and visitors alike enjoy breakfast and lunch here.

NJ
Level Contributor
543 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals restaurant?

Thanks for the tips. We're staying on the Dutch side but will drive around so we'll just stop when we're hungry...

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals restaurant?

I highly recommend D'Hercule - great creole food on the road to Cul-de Sac. About a mile up from the circle off of the main road.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals restaurant?

Marks Place

Hilmas Windsor Castle

Taco Macho

Yvettes

Cito's Place

Gutside

Gabes FUBAR

All the little food trucks on the pondfill

Many others

Edited: 25 March 2010, 01:10
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locals restaurant?

Another vote for Hilma's Windsor Castle (actually a trailer), and Freedom Fighter's Shack. We visited both during our last trip. Great food and cheap.

Here's a link to my November 2009 photos of St. Maarten. There are pictures of Hilma's and Freedom Fighters included:

www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/my_shared…

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locals restaurant?

Breakfast-La Croisanterie at the Marina Royale in Marigot. Nothing fancy and be sure to try the breakfast crepes. Usually only one or two tables occupied with residents.

Lunch-Friars Cafe at Friars Beach. Go for the day and if you have lunch, chairs and umbrellas are free. Cash only. Our favorite lunch spot on the island. Serving staff of other island upscale restaurants gather here for lunch.

Dinner- Claudes Mini Club in Marigot. Go on Wednesday or Saturday for buffet which is all fresh including duck, roasted pig and lobster. ..plus much more. Not your typical buffet especially in the quality of the cuisine. Includes entertainment and wine. $56 each in 2009. Always filled with French residents of the island when we are there. Reservations a must.

9. Re: Locals restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten