We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Maarten in August??

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
St Maarten in August??

Call me crazy, but we bought a house in St Maarten for a week in a silent auction. I hope we are not doomed, as I started researching, it seem everything starts to shut down?? I believe the house is in Oyster Pond. We'll have 6-8 people probably.

So my questions are:

#1 Should we rent a car the entire time?

#2 We'd love to rent a sailboat and go over to St Barts. Many in the group are all accomplished sailors with blue water experience. Seems like boat charters are non existent in August? Please refer me to one if you have any ideas... A 36ft + sailboat should do the trick

#3 We are an outdoor adventurous group on a bit of a budget... thoughts for activities. We'll have our own snorkel gear, where is the best place to snorkel.

#4 AIRFARE! Ugh... this seems to be unbending. I should have acted earlier. Any tricks for cheap airfare... I am now finding fare around $475 +. We'd be coming from the Baltimore/DC area

Thanks for your help.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Maarten in August??

1) Rent a car if you plan on seeing the island, visiting different beaches, duty free shopping, dining, etc. Many restaurants will be open for business even though this is holiday time for many as well.

2) Your hotel activities desk will assist you with boat rentals, etc.

3) Snorkling at, Little Bay, Rouge, Mullet, Créole Rock in Grand Case, Orient, Pinel, Green Cay, Tintamarre, Galion & Dawn.

4) Kayak gives airfare for all in one easy step.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Maarten in August??

1. yes

2. check the moorings..they are located at captain Oliver's in oyster pond

www.captainolivers.com/MarinaCharters.html

3.lots of places as already mentioned for snorkeling. also kayaking, wind surfing etc

check out this link from one of the medical students here.

He offers good suggestions on activities

caribbeanmedstudent.com/2010/…

4. airfare... just keep checking

airfares are high this summer.

I just paid $500 for SXM-JFK for July travel

probably anythign between $450-$500 is about as good as it might get

Be sure to take out travel insurance. August is peak hurricane time

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Maarten in August??

1. Rent a car the entire trip.

2. Baie Rouge and Friars are good snorkeling options.

3. Anything under $500R/T is reasonable .

We too will be there the first 2 weeks of August. If you want tips my wife and I have put together for family and friends from 10+ years of trips ti SXM, send me an email at JVR13@aol.com.

4. Re: St Maarten in August??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten