We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant ideas?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant ideas?

I have looked up the restaurants in St. Maarten and I am totally confused. Any recommendations? I am staying at the Flamingo and not sure to rent a car or not? any suggestions? If I decide to wait and rent a car there, will it be a hassle?

thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant ideas?

Breakfas Suggestions::

Zee Best & La Croissanterie

http://www.zeebestrestaurant.com/

www.best-stmartin.com/detail.asp…

Dinner:

Uncle Harry's - Steaks

Boathouse - Seafood

La Gondola - Pasta

http://www.sxm-restaurants.com/

Many restaurants are within walking distance of Flamingo - see the restaurant MAP for locations and selections -

Hideaway at La Vista, next door is one good choice.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant ideas?

www.wyndham-vacations.com/main.taf…

I don't see a car rental on site, the RCI directory says one is off site. I'm sure their activities desk will assist you with this.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant ideas?

A few years ago we rented from the Flamingo person on-site.

Now we just email ahead and have a car waiting for us when we get there.

As for a restaurant, I would also go to Tutta Pasta in the Marina area. It is on a second floor with a roof top dining area. Really nice for atmosphere and reasonably priced.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant ideas?

Yes there is a car rental booth in the Flamingo lobby. Don't recall the name. Might have been Unity.

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant ideas?

who do you rent from and who do you email? The car is waiting at the airport for the hotel?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant ideas?

Thanks for your recommendations. I also see a lot of reviews for Peg Leg steakhouse. Any ideas on that one?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant ideas?

Oh thats good they have a car rental on site.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant ideas?

We usually rent from Kenny's. We meet Leslie at the airport.

I know people here also use Unity and/or Tropical/tropicana. Have not used Unity...the one time we used T/T we had a problem w/them.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant ideas?

Went to Peg Leg this last May. First time I've been since the last time two years ago. Two years ago I promised myself I would not ever return as I was dissapointed twice. Well I got talked into going this last May to their new location and I will never return again. EVER. Extreamly slow service, food came not as ordered (did not want to make corrections), when the food came they had to ask who had what (always a sign of poor attention to detail) because the person delivering the food wasn't the order taker. It's known as a steak house. My wife had the filet (cooked ok) and I opted for the New York with muchroom sauce (they brought peppercorn sauce instead). I've had better and more tender top sirloins from costco that I cooked my self than that over cooked piece of shoe leather. All six in our party ordered garlic mashed potatoes but they were sour cream mashed instead. Waiter just shruged his shouders. New owner spent a lot of time going from table to table visiting but never did anything to help the customers get their orders promptly or correct the mistakes. Asked for extra butter and the waiter said they were out. Owner said he would unlock the freezer to get some and came back 15 min later with frozen butter. Classy!!

Sorry about the rant but you asked about Peg Leg.

I will be supprised if this new owner will stick around. Said he didn't have any previous restaurant experience and the help appeared to be unhappy with the owner.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant ideas?

We're not Peg Leg fans either, if you reallly want a very good filet Uncle Harry's is the place.

angelfire.com/il2/sxm/rest2007/harrys07.html

Here is Ray Mann's review of the place. Saves me a lot of words.

Also, Rancho is good every time. Rare is also excellent but here you pay top dollar and for us it's just too expensive for what you get in return. Order a side item and the tab really goes up.