We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Beach

Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Rainbow Beach

So I've heard there's no lights nor elevators in order anymore due to issues? My husband and I are set to arrive on the 4th of August and heard this from my dad who owns a place there...anything else I should expect? This is very disappointing. I'm not going to allow it to put a damper on my trip, but didn't know that I'd have to bring a mini mag lite to get into my dad's place this time. =/

ETA: We're thinking about doing a day trip to Anguilla and St. Barth's...I've read all in the forums about both, so that's not the question. If we go to Anguilla, we want to head to Shoal Bay, does anyone have an idea of taxi cost from where the boat drops you off? Would it be better to rent a car? Thanks!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 00:29
Mentioned in this post
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Beach

No elevators - is that the stairs you'll have to climb in the website photo - lol - just kidding, looks like a class place to me...hope you enjoy

http://www.rainbowbeachclub.com/

Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Beach

Oh, we've been before, two years ago about the same time, so we know what to expect. Was just wondering if there was anything else I needed to know about Bobcat. :)

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Beach

If you read VRBO trip reviews, you will see multiple 5 star ratings and fantastic Trip reviews for Rainbow. If you look on Trip Advisor, you will see just the opposite which leads me to believe that either disgruntled Rainbow owners are posting these reviews or that the people renting their condos to these people are not doing so through management which is currently against the condo rules, and thus these problems are understandably occuring due to lack of attention by management.

Since we own a condo on this property and rent through management, we do not have these problems and so it depends on where your father owns his condo. There are 3 buildings on the property and I believe that only one may not have lighting still because of internal arguements with management and the changing of the lighting structure within the building.

The Towers building has lighting and has a working elevator so hopefully your father owns a condo in the Towers building.

Mentioned in this post
The Towers at Mullet Bay
The Towers at Mullet Bay
159 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Beach

And an update on the property...there are very nice individual umbrellas now rather than the large bulky ones that they had 2 years ago when you were there. Also, the pathways do not have those deep drops into the rain gutters any more. They have been covered so it's easy walking around the property. There is very little, if no construction noise any more (unless owners are doing something on their own), the crane from the roof has been down for over a year, and the landscaping around the property was unbelievably gorgeous this past April. You'll have a good time...don't worry.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Beach

Regarding the Anguilla question, for some reason between $30 and $35 round trip comes to mind. I can not guarantee this but I would think this is about what you would expect to pay, depending on how many people are traveling with you as well. Also, you can rent a car as soon as you exit the terminal but keep in mind that the roads are opposite of SXM. If you are used to this, then it should be a piece of cake but if not, you need to be always aware of this change in driving.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Beach

Thanks for the responses. My dad's place is in the building facing the beach, with the spiral staircase in your picture (how I knew you would probably respond in this thread) and the rather phallic shaped pool. When he was there in May he said there were no lights, and he just heard from friends who were just there (same building) that they shut off the elevators as well and something about the owner of the property wanting to charge more for fees which is why the lights and elevator are off. I don't know much about it other than we enjoyed it two years ago and wanted a relaxing vacation. My dad doesn't rent his out to people at all.

The big umbrellas didn't bother me, actually my husband and I really liked them a lot. The rain gutters didn't really bother us either, but it's good to know. Thanks for answering my Anguilla question as well. Would a car rental be worth it on Anguilla? Is it worth driving around and exploring the island at all?

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainbow Beach

Unfortunately I can not help you on the Anguilla portion as we were only there once for a short time and used a taxi to take us to where we were going. There have been quite a number of people who felt confident renting their own car (more than I would have ever expected) but personally, I would rather have someone take me to a great beach, leave me there to soak in the sun, and then pick me up at the appointed time. To me, this is just so much easier and relaxing.

And regarding Rainbow, yes there are internal problems with the front building that faces the pools. I doubt that anyone rents legally in that building and thus the issues. And if I were an owner in the front building, I would certainly not rent to anyone on the sly, knowing that there were these problems. This would be unfair to the renters and that is not my style. Happily, The Towers building does have quite a number of rental owners and so the building, for now, is working very nicely for our guests who have not had one complaint (knock on wood)...lol

Have a great trip...we are due for Thanksgiving so our trip is a long way off... :(

Mentioned in this post
The Towers at Mullet Bay
The Towers at Mullet Bay
159 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,746 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainbow Beach

The lights are back on in the Rainbow (front) building. But the elevator is not.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainbow Beach

That's semi good news to hear. Shame it happened to begin with. Now hopefully they'll get those elevators working! I would hate to live on the top floor.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainbow Beach

Yeah, my dad won't even let his friends use the place if the lights and elevator are out...I guess I'm special because I'm family. :) I don't have a problem with stairs, I prefer them actually, but an elevator is nice to have from time to time.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten