We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

New Milford
Level Contributor
44 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

Will be going to SXM on September 4th and will be renting a car. The rates at Thrifty seem very good, has anyone had a problem with Thrifty?

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

There have been quite a few negative reviews of Thrifty. Price is not everything.

The Garden State
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

I have been using Payless. I stopped using Thrifty when I was charged $600 for a lost key - they said they had to change the ignition. If you sign up for a Payless Perks Card you save an extra 5%

http://www.paylesscar.com/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

We just got back a few days ago and we used Unity. They picked us up at the airport and brought us right down the street and in 5 minutes we were on our way. Used my credit card so was covered for insurance , Easy to work with and they gave us phone numbers if we had any problems day or night they said they would take care of it. Used them once before and same thing. Would continue to use them. It is to bad the roads are so bad you feel like you are beating their car!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

We used Thrifty years ago and had no complaints. But use one of the local island agencies. Rates should be very competitive. For the last 8 visits we have used Kenny's Car Rental. Michael is the greatest at meeting you and getting you on your way fast from the airport.

http://www.kennyscarrental.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

I've read before that it might be a good idea to rent a car with French license plates. Not sure if that's true, but I checked with Kenny's and they don't have French plates.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

I used Thrifty for 2 years about 5 years ago. I stopped using them when I returned the car the last year I used them and they wanted to charge me for a scrape under the front bumper. I know I didn't cause it and they backed off. If you do rent from them (I recommend a local company), make sure you inspect every square inch of the car before you take the car.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

Some feel that the "R" on the Dutch plates attract unwanted attention. The French plates are the solution.

Who knows?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

We used Automax last trip and will again.

French plates, alarm + "the club" so you can lock the car.

(Still no valuables s/b left inside anyway.)

Car was waiting at the airport and they met us there to pick it up.

Just slightly more expensive but convenience and peace of mind.

Got crappy cars and service from the familiar names (Avis was one) so go local.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

I'm with Bobcat's comment - "Who Knows?" regarding the "R" license plates. Have rented for years both ways and so far have had no problem with either version. If you are interested in "R" plates, AAA is a good agency (Alain Arnell) and provides them.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Anyone?

Rented from Alain at AAA for many years and he only had French plates. Has that changed?