We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch vs French for a young couple

Arlington, Virginia
7 posts
Save Topic
Dutch vs French for a young couple

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are in our late 20s and we like to stay busy when visiting a new country. We like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants, have easy access to activities and sight seeing. we basically try to stay at a centralized location with walking distance stores. We are looking for a beach property if possible or across the street from the beach.

We plan to rent a car and visit the whole Island as much as possible.

Can you help us decide which side, the Dutch or the French best fit our needs?

Thank you.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dutch vs French for a young couple

You could stay in Philipsburg where many of the duty free shops are located and enjoy the beach in one of the oceanfront hotels. Also a short distance away, even on foot is Little Bay, again a nice beach and shopping not far off.

Simpson Bay offers many restaurants and bars, less in the way of shops.

Maho has a strip mall of shops but far less than you would have in town.

The French side is more laid back, you would need a car to get to the shops in Marigot or Philipsburg. A car for the Dutch side is not a bad ideal also.

If you really want to walk to shops/resturants/bars Philipsburg or Little Bay would be my recommendations.

In Philipsburg there are some nice hotels, Holland House is one tha comes to mind.

Little Bay has two hotels, Belair Beach Hotel and Divi Little Bay Beach Resort.

Mentioned in this post
Little Bay
Little Bay
Montserrat
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dutch vs French for a young couple

Hi Loveforever...I would recommend the areas of Simpson Bay/Cole Bay, Maho, or Cupecoy for resort choices. I sent you a list of places in the message section of this website. I wish you the best of luck finding the perfect place. :) There are so many places to suit your needs.

3. Re: Dutch vs French for a young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 07:50