We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Blue Cap

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Villa Blue Cap

Has anyone ever heard of or stayed at Blue Cap? Thinking of renting for our stay. thanks

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Blue Cap

I stayed at Villa Blue Cap with a group of friends in late August, 2010. I've been meaning for some time to search online a venue to leave a review but have just found the time. The pictures that you see of Villa Blue Cap online were most definitely taken the second the place was finished - we found the property to be very poorly maintained. The outdoor furniture was very worn, faded, and the cushions were torn. The outdoor cooking/sink area was filthy and unworking - the fridge was full of old food covered in mold. The upstairs bathroom toilet leaked and smelled horribly. The refrigerators did not keep food cold and/or frozen or make ice. Also, the owner/house keeper failed to tell us that the area has an extremely high crime rate. We were robbed in the middle of the night and learned from the police (after hours and hours of waiting for them to arrive) that the house is robbed on a very regular basis as are the other vacation homes in the area. We stayed only one night after we were robbed and moved to a different house on the opposite side of the island. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere when searching for a rental property in St. Martin.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Blue Cap

Does anyone else have an information on this part of the island or Blue Cap? I am booked for two weeks here at the end of November.

Thanks,

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Blue Cap

sorry no info on this villa. what area is it in? i can recommend another site www.traveltalkonline.com in addition to being a more active forum at the moment (there are some of us dual posters) it has a few sxm residents and a lot of regulars to sxm. it also has more villa renters than tripadvisor (villa rentals is a fairly new feature here. this site was more resort oriented.) utilizing both sites will provide you with a lot of info.

Edited: 13 October 2010, 16:34
Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Blue Cap

Are you booked at Blue Cap or just St. Martin? I would check out www.luxuryretreats.com. I have always used this site when booking trips - I strayed once (Blue Cap) and never will again. Luxury Retreats actually found the 2nd house we moved to during our stay in St. Martin. I could honestly go on and on about Blue Cap.... Very disappointing.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Blue Cap

Thanks for the info. We are booked and now I am a little nervous. I Did send a deposit but would forfeit it if the place is as bad as you say. There are 6 of us coming down so I would hate to ruin our friends vacation with what you are saying happended there.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Blue Cap

tns33...welcome to TA! sorry about the break in! do you have pictures of Villa Blue Cap from your stay? what area was it in?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Blue Cap

Doug, I believe your answer is on Traveltalkonline.com.

Columbus, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Blue Cap

I just read the review on Traveltalkonline.com. Of course everyone has different standards - to me, the condition of the outdoor furniture, the outdoor grilling area was unacceptable for the $$ spent. Another example is the pool outlined with glass tile - the tile is worn and very sharp, my friend actually cut her finger on it. Too - the pool needed to be re-sealed, green algae was present all across the bottom and stairs into the pool. As far as the safety of the area - of course the property owners are not going to mention an issue. I can assure you though that the police told us that the villa has been robbed on a very regular basis - actually their words were "almost monthly". The property next door had been robbed 2 weeks prior to us being robbed. I don't want anyone to feel nervous regarding their scheduled vacation, I just wanted to put my experience out there so others would be aware. We spent nearly $6,000 to rent Blue Cap - we spent over $6,000 on the 2nd property we rented. The owner would not refund our payment at Blue Cap. I don't have any pictures of the actual property unfortunately. We arrived on Friday, were robbed on Saturday, and left on Monday morning.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Blue Cap

unfortunately with the currect economic situation burglary is on the rise. this is not limited to the area of this villa (pelican key?) in sxm. another upscale residential area that i visit has also had it's share of burglaries. that doesn't make it right but it's not limited to this area, villa or island! rental villas that are usually dark are prey once renters are in place. follow the same safety precautions you normally would at home: lock all doors and windows, set alarms, etc). as was said each traveller has their own standards so my advice to the OP would be to contact the owner or agent and ask about the specific issues brought up here.

t m
Ottawa
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Blue Cap

Hello, we have rented the same villa for Feb, 2011. Can you tell us what time of night you were robbed and the pattern - I imagine it's the same people waiting for new targets. What entry did they use? Did you go right to the safety deposit box or hand over wallets and jewelery? Were safety shutters available? Were you able to contact owners and what was their response?

You truly had an awful experience. I would hate to be in your shoes, but information is power. Thank you for sharing.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin