We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Rented a car from Europcar (which is also affiliated with Best Deal and Safari) for one week on late July at the airport. Used my credit card. This is the only place I used my credit card the entire week on SXM. Never a problem with fradulent charges. Recieved a call today from my credit card company, a charge of over $1300.00 appeared on my bill, as an out of the country charge. Have not traveled out of US for over one year. Someone got my number and charged this-confident it was this place

So when using a credit card to rent a car (which is required-not much choice). Make sure your credit card covers fradulent charges

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Sad to say credit card fraud is on the rise everywhere. Fortunately, for us in the USA, Federal law limits your responsibility for unauthorized charges to $50

ftc.gov/bcp/…cre16.shtm

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Also notify your credit card company before you travel out of country.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

UPDATE

Had an additional charge after credit card was closed. $2,200 dollar charge at a nightclub (never went a nightclub). Only used my card at car rental company Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental. Credit card company indicated "card" was swiped for purchase of alcohol.

New card was created.

BEWARE.

Was not responsible for charges, thankfully!

Florida
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Did you give it to your Hotel when you checked in. Most times they ask for a credit card to hold in case of charges.

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

did you actually lose your card?

if so, did you report it?

how could the card be swiped if you didn't lose it?

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

I probably just answered my own question.

If you did not lose your card, then the account number was entered in manually on the swiping machine.

new england
Level Contributor
266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Unfortunately, these things can happen. Yet we'd prefer them not to happen while on vacation. I've had that happen to me, also, in fact 2x in SXM. But, it does happen everywhere these days. :--( Fortunately, we were held responsible for the charges, as were you, but it's a real kick in the beehind when these things happen. There are unsavory people everywhere. Perhaps it wasn't the car dealership but an employee or a visitor. We'll never know. I've now got one card with a limit so it raises a red flag if someone tries to use it. I carry a spare.....just in case.....but we use mostly cash for restaurants and purchases. And the villa/apt. is always prepaid. This does help with fraudulent charges.

Glad to hear the ending was good. Keep up the spirit!!

Cheers,

Contessa

Wallkill, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

My credit card number may yet get a fraudulent hit like you did, however, my specific problem was a passenger door lock scam that was neatly played by the boss/manager of the day. The girl, Kim, who had checked my car out three weeks before just sat there and I believe is fully in on this scam. The manager came directly out, saw no dents or other marks on the body and then walked over to the passenger door lock and tried to lock it with the key. He did not try any other lock. It would not lock and he claimed that it was damaged when I had the car. It had not been checked by agent Kim before we took the car and not marked on my rental car sheet as being defective. The door worked fine and the doors all locked with the key using the driver's side lock, which as the only driver I used every time. The car was at Oyster Bay Beach Resort the whole time, except for our few trips out when nothing had ever been left in the car and no one ever seems to have been near it. This was so well played that I am sure it was done on that vehicle many times before and will continue to be done in the future. The car was a white I 10 , license # R 1041. I would be interested if anyone else had this happen to them at Europcar and especially with the same car.

Mentioned in this post
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
1,250 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Sadly, we had the exact same experience with the door lock thing happening to us at Europcar when we dropped off our car a few days ago. It didn't even occur to us to check the door locks before we left the lot the first time, because I have never done that before (I will now!). We had no issues with the car until we returned it to the lot and had basically the same experience you had verbatim. I don't know if they are running a scam since there is no way to dispute it or if it just happens so often they don't even flinch, but the whole transaction was very organized and a little too clean.

I have rented with Europcar in the past in other countries and never had a problem, so I had no problem renting from them.

Edited: 08 January 2011, 02:26
Wallkill, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europcar/Safari/BestDeal Rental car-credit card # stolen

Do you still have the paperwork that identifies the car and plate number that you had? I would love to know if it was the same one we had. I was told, after much protesting on my part, that they always fix any problem before renting out a car again. He told me that a new lock would be installed and that I would recieve a FAX showing the bill for that repair. Of course no FAX has ever come. I am sure that this is a scam and that they use the same car and broken lock over and over. I wish there was some support from the government to help crack down on these thieves. They give the St. Maarten vacation experience such a bad taste. It doesn't seem that they are willing to help the tourists who bring all the money to the island.

Mentioned in this post