We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EPIC cruise

Athens, Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
EPIC cruise

Hey everyone I am taking the EPIC cruise this December, we will stop in St. Maarten, I was wondering what are the fun beaches and things to do I should do in St. Maarten on my own or is it better to just go with the cruise line excursions?

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EPIC cruise

If you want to go where the masses go, then grab a cab to Orient Beach rather than wait for the cruise tour. This way you can eat where you want and lounge where you want. Personally I find the Orient Beach area too busy for my liking (too many tourists and water activities). I would prefer to go to a nice and relaxing beach like Mullet or Simpson Bay (Karakter area) to relax and enjoy. Less commercial. Just keep in mind that no matter which beach you go to, the water or wind may not be suitable for the day so before the taxi leaves you there, check out the water first. If the water and wind are too rough, then have the taxi take you to the opposite side of the island to a beach there where the conditions may be more favorable.

I could also recommend you hire a tour guide to take you to places around the island. Joyce Prince is a very popular tour guide and can take you to the highlighted areas and leave you to relax at some of them.

Athens, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EPIC cruise

Thank you so much. Anymore ideas?

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EPIC cruise

Being that you will only be on the island for a short time, I think that unless you know the island very well and can hop form beach to beach and then maybe stop in Marigot to have a bite of lunch at the marina or watch the planes land in Maho (an adventure in itself), I would really look into Joyce Prince to show you the great places. If you can't hire her, then see if there someone at the pier who will give a tour made to your specs at a guaranteed price. Then if you like the island, come back for a longer stay to see it all at a slower pace. There really is so much to recommend that it would be impossible to hit all of them in one sitting. Enjoy!

Athens, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EPIC cruise

Thank you

Yakima, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: EPIC cruise

I will be taking the Epic Cruise in the first few weeks of November…what will the age rang be on the ship at that time

Athens, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EPIC cruise

I do not know. My husband booked the cruise for my graduation. I hope they are about my age.

Philadelphia...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EPIC cruise

How was the cruise? I'm considering Epic for xmas week - western carribbean. What age group did it appear to attract on your trip? I'm a single female - likely traveling solo.

THanks!

Athens, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EPIC cruise

I haven't went yet. We leave on Saturday!

9. Re: EPIC cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten