We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Go or Wait it Out?

4 posts
Save Topic
To Go or Wait it Out?

Hubby and I have always wanted to visit St Maarten. We do prefer all inclusives though. We are very interested in the Sonesta Maho Beach for January. However we are concerned we won't have the beautiful beach vacation we are looking for due to the damage at Maho Beach. Both of us enjoy beong able to grab a drink from the beachside bar (all inclusive) and lounge on the beach. We understand that right now Maho beach is boulders not sand. My question is, would you take a chance and book the vacation for Jan 7th hoping the beach would be a little replenished or would you book somewhere else (another island) and wait a year to see what happens with the beach? We are so confused!

Mentioned in this post
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
4,735 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Go or Wait it Out?

There will never be a guarantee of a beach. You just need to be prepared to go to a different beach where the sand has settled.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Go or Wait it Out?

As was stated above. you never know with Mother Nature BUT from one day to the next, Maho beach now has more sand than they can use! According to reports, the beach in front of the RI and Sonesta still needs more but that could very well come back tomorrow too. If anything, Mullet Beach is always a great standby too since it's only a 2 minute drive or 5 minute walk.

In SXM, the reason not to come because the water is rough or beach is gone on one beach is not a good enough excuse because there are so many other beaches to enjoy.

Go and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
4,735 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Go or Wait it Out?

there are many other beaches to go to on SXM if the beach at Maho is eroded.

And as others have said, that changes daily, and January is a long way away

There is always mullet bay or Simpson Bay beaches close by.

I assume you will be renting a car so you can easily go to other beaches for the day.

It's not my business, but i do recommend you do not do AI here.

There simply are too many fabulous dining choices on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Maho
Maho
St Martin / St Maarten
Simpson Bay
Simpson Bay
St Martin / St Maarten
4. Re: To Go or Wait it Out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2011, 05:17