We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom between Dutch side and French side

boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Custom between Dutch side and French side

This may be a silly question. but when you cross from the Dutch side to French side , is there any sort of custom you need to cross? I've never been to St Martin and just want to know if I should have my passport with me at all time.

Thanks!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

No, no customs to cross when going from the Dutch to the French side. But if you plan on taking the ferry to Anguilla, you will need your passport.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

The line dividing the island runs in different directions in relation to the roads so you probably cross it several times.

You won't even be aware of it as there are not even any signs as far as I remember.

The only custom difference is the amount of clothing worn on the beaches.

Enjoy

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

there is a colorful sign on the french side of oyster pond but that's the only one i saw. since we stayed in that area and used that road daily i had more opportunities to see it.

boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

LOL, I will try to dress accordingly based on which side I'm on then.

Thanks!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

There are signs and several monuments at just about all of the major border crossings.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

Going from one side of the island to the other is like going from one state to another. There is a sign welcoming you to that side. The road surface will change also as you might expect.

7. Re: Custom between Dutch side and French side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 07:21