We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

We will be stopping in Phillipsburg for a day in February. It will be my husband and I with our 7-year-old daughter. I'm considering either going out on our own or booking an excursion if it fits our needs. Here's what I'd like to do:

Morning shopping in Marigot - Q: Any idea what a cab would cost from Phillipsburg to Marigot? Any suggestions regarding shopping here / must see shops?

Afternoon at the beach, either Le Galion or Orient Bay - Q: Is it far from Marigot to either of these beaches? Any idea re cab fare from Marigot to the beach, and then from the beach back to Phillipsburg?

Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Philipsburg to Marigot - $18.00

Marigot to Orient Beach - $20.00

Orient to Philipsburg - $20.00

It should not be difficult to find a taxi in town, however when on Orient you can usually find a taxi near Pedro's Beach Bar - it may be best to pre-arrange for the driver to pick you up for the return trip - Galion is next to Orient and you can walk over from Orient.

Travel times usually less than 30 minutes.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Find taxi fares here:

http://www.taxistmaarten.com/

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

I would like to recommend signing up for the Pinel Island tour on the ship if the cost is not too steep. Or you could possibly make arrangements with a cab to take you to the docks and pick you up again at an assigned time which may be more cost effective. Your daughter would love the calm waters and Pinel really is a beautiful place to spend the day. I would not recommend Galeon for the time being as I have read that there are an unusually high number of thefts on that beach lately. Orient is always a safe bet as well but Pinel would delight everyone.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

To add to the above, I noticed that you were looking to shop in Marigot BUT I would highly recommend that you schedule that on the way BACK to the ship. The last thing you want to do is lug souvenirs and purchases to the beach, plus the fact that you would have to keep a keen eye on more than just your beach bags. Marigot may have more upscale items but also keep in mind that you would be paying a much higher price than what you could possibly buy in Philipsburg, especially perfumes and cosmetics.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Thanks everyone. I see that the Pinel excursion is not available for some reason, although it was in the past through Disney Cruise Line.

Thanks for the tip about shopping in the afternoon - you're right, I wouldn't want to lug things to the beach.

Would you recommend shopping in Phillipsburg rather than Marigot? I'm not looking for anything high-end, just some like locally made jewellry or spices.

St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Definitely Philipsburg! The prices are so much better there. The only place you might get a comparable price in Marigot would be the flea market that's set up along water side of the town. There you can bargain the prices down if you want but keep in mind that aside from the select few booths that do sell original items, most items can be purchased at Rimas in Philipsburg.

Rimas is a souvenier store located along the salt pond and it's a big yellow building with large flags flying. A stop there to walk around the large store is worth it.

Regarding spices, most sold at the flea market in Marigot are not native to the island but I do have to say that even though they are not native and are imported from elsewhere, their freshness is most likely incomparable to the bottled spices we get at home and worth purchasing.

So sorry to hear about the lack of a Pinel trip but you can certainly set up something with a cab driver when you disembark the ship. Many can arrange with you to take you there and pick you up at an assigned time. The tiny ferry taking you over to Pinel sails every half hour I believe so you can set something up to meet at the docks afterwards. Then they can bring you to Marigot or back to Philipsburg where you can shop to your hearts delight. The ride back from Pinel can range from 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic.

Keep in mind that if it's heavily overcast, you should just hang out in Philipsburg and maybe go to that beach if the sun comes through occasionally. I know from experience that going to a beach away from the ship when it's overcast can be a huge bummer. That's what happen to us the very first time we visited the island via a cruise and I felt trapped on this beach with nothing to do and no sunshine to keep us warm. This was a tour set up by the cruise line and I swore I would never do a tour with a ship again because you are committed at that point.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

Thanks for the tips! Good point about the weather too, I had not thought of that.

Simpson Bay, St...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

sxmluver, I don't agree with what you said about the prices being much higher in marigot. yes the prices are in Euros, does this make the shopping genuinely more expensive? - Not necesarilly. Most of the businesses in Marigot have realized that in order to stay allive they need to adjust their prices so when the currency conversion is done the prices are competitve with those on the dutch side. Another point - the dutch side takes the cake when it comes to variety (then again most of the stores on front street all sell the same thing) but Marigot with out a doubt has mcuh better quality.

9. Re: Questions about a day in Marigot & Le Galion or Orient Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:19