We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Automax and Empress Car Rentals

MN
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Automax and Empress Car Rentals

Looking forward to our much needed vacation in March. Generally this isn't an issue but struggling a bit with car rental choice. Anyone have experience, good or bad, regarding these two rental agencies?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

We used Automax last year and will use them again.

Before then, we always went low dollar.

The familiar rental co's (Thrifty,Budget etc..) can be hit or miss.

They met us at the airport coming and going and were friendly.

The car had french plates and the club so we could lock it which was a better approach.

(You still don't want to leave things in the car of course.)

We rented a phone from them also at competitive rates.

It saves a lot of time on the travel days and is a better product.

Have a great trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

We also used Automax in late November and were very pleased with the service. The rep met us at the airport, walked us across to the parking lot, showed us the car and off we went. At the end of our stay, the rep met us - he was actually there earlier than we had arranged, so that was good. The car was small (a Kia Picanto), but good rate and we were happy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

Another plus that I forgot to mention - we were both able to drive the car, with no additional charge. Usually here in Canada, it seems that we have to pay a fee for both of us to be able to drive. (Mind you, my husband is always the designated driver, so I never did need to drive it.)

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
680 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

We used Empress and they were excellent. If you have any questions, just personal message me.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

Hi,

Is Empress car Rental directly in Juliana Airport ?

(I don't want to take a shuttle to car rental location)

Thanks!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

There are no rentals directly at the airport. But most are within a 2 - 5 minute ride.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

Automax meets you at the terminal and the car is waiting in the parking lot. You do the paperwork there and you are off.They also meet you there when you drop it off.From what I have read on this forum, there are others doing the same thing (Kenny's ?)

The shuttle process can be hit or miss. We have had quick turn arounds and fairly long waits at the agency to pick up.

By the way,we only used them once.All other times,we used the Brand Name (Thrifty,Budget,Avis) agencies.These Brand agencies are NOT the same as in the US.Canada but only use the name. We are inclined to believe the local agencies are a better choice.

MN
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

Good morning. A balmy -20 F this morning by the big lake on the Canadian border in northern Minnesota. What's that? It's 79 F in St Maarten. Where would you rather be? 60 days until arrival. Can't wait. Just wanted to thank everyone for the car rental info. We went local with Empress. Seemed to make more sense than a name brand.

Austin, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

So how was your experience with Empress?

MN
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Automax and Empress Car Rentals

No report yet. We'll be arriving in SXM March 19. We'll be posting a report once we return.