We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Has anyone every stayed in the Lock Off Units at this property?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

We stayed in a studio several years ago. The unit was large and faced Dawn Beach.

The studio shared a lock-off door with the living room of the one bedroom unit and noise did come through into the studio. If this is not acceptable you may wish to upgrade.

The restaurants on site are sub-par, far better dining off-site and nearby as well.

Lovely large swimming pool facing Atlantic and St Barths. Excellent beach with restaurants on the beach and across the road facing the pond. Some changes in restaurant location in progress now for Big Fish restaurant moving nearby.

According to TA reviews the resort is in need of some renovations.

Arcade of shops on site, free parking, security gate with guards.

Hope this helps.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

i have stayed in the lock off and it was very small!!!! would not stay in one again. a king size bed with 2 nightstands and a very small table with 2 chairs up against the sliding door. the space barely allowed you to walk between the side of the bed and the table. a dresser on the other side. along the wall opposite the bed was a mini frig and a sink and cabinet. there was an awful hot plate in case you needed a stove top LOL. thankfully i don't cook at all on vacation. there was also a small microwave to reheat and that does come in handy for restaurant leftovers. we had a somewhat updated (i use the term lightly) unit facing the maria. the bath was extremely small and the corner shower allowed no space whatsoever! there was a painted wooden shelf under an open pipe sink for toiletries. there are newer units which are nicer (don't be deceived by their website....those are pictures of the new units and there are very few of them). unfortunately having traded a portion of our top of line unit for this was not a good decision. we also had major A/C problems which no one would acknowledge until the maid found the unit spewing water over our dresser!!!!! that said, we absolutely love the dawn beach area!!!! this could be a great resort however until ALL units have been fully refurbished we would not consider returning here unless we were GUARANTEED (and you know that won't happen) a new or totally remodeled unit. we would also never consider the studio/lock-off again. no space at all! that's a shame too this could be a great resort....just too many if's and variables at this time!!!!

ps actually preferred the marina view! we were offsite most of the day and the boats swaying in the marina with the lights from the villas in this hills and the restaurants on the opposite side of oyster pond was very nice for evening and late night cocktails. the patio (we were 1st floor) was a must and is what saved us from the cramped room!

Edited: 19 January 2011, 16:29
Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

We are arriving at Oyster Bay Beach Resort on June 25. We are looking forward to it. One concern I have, we have been reading trip advisor, and saw a posting about bugs in the villas. Have you ever seen anything?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

It's the tropics! Expect to see some.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

I understand about the bugs in the tropics, but I'm talking about roaches. Did you have any problems?

Edited: 19 June 2011, 21:46
Kansas City, Kansas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

We just returned from OBBR and can report absolutely NO roaches! (or bugs of any kind for that matter). I can honestly say that in the many years we have been staying there, I have never seen a 'critter' on the premesis at OBBR This is our home resort and I have nothing but good things to say about it and its employees. IF anything comes up that needs attention, be it a problem with an appliance or a need for a bandaid, the folks at the front desk or the activities desk respond immediately (and with a smile :) The resort is constantly being updated both in the rooms and on the grounds. All the employees take pride in what they do and it shows.

Hope this allays any fears you may have. Go and have a wonderful time :)

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

Thank you so much. We have read alot of good things about OBBR and we are looking forward to our vacation. A couple of weeks ago we read a post on trip advisor about roaches and I got a little nervous. Thank you for easing my mind. We leave this week and I cant wait

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

have to disagree about OBBR and it's response to issues as i am one who got absolutely zero response to an a/c issue until the maid had to stuff it with towels because it had literally drenched our only dresser (with my clothes inside) with leaking water. the front desk response to days of "politely" advising that the a/c was not working properly was to say "limited power". II gave our friends back a full week because of their problems at the resort. while this was about 18 mos ago i will say please check all the reviews not just those by owners. for those not in the new units these issues are still there!!!! i will say it does seem the new gm is attempting to get the problems and all the renovations completed but there are still problems!!!!! unless guaranteed a newly completed renovated room i would even consider going back to OBBR! i hope you get a new unit otherwise you might be sorry!

Edited: 23 June 2011, 19:55
Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster Bay Beach Resort

my post should read "won't" even consider going back to OBBR unless guaranteed a newly completed renovated room.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin