We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

mulvihil@bellsouth.n...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

My husband and I are planning on spending 3 nights in St. Martin this May before taking the ferry to Anguilla. Would you recommend the Hotel L'Esplanade or La Samana. We have heard comments about both but defer to those of you experts out there. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
750 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Le Petit Hotel
Le Petit Hotel
#1 of 8 hotels in Grand Case
Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond
Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond
#1 of 8 hotels in Oyster Pond
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
#2 of 8 hotels in Grand Case
OIB, NC
Level Contributor
729 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

Since you'll be enjoying the beautiful beaches on Anguilla, I would vote for L'Esplanade. It's romantic, quiet and walking distance to all the wonderful, fine dining in Grande Case, but not beachfront.

La Samana is beachfront, IMO is overpriced for what you get.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
750 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
NYC
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

We stayed at Le' Petit a few years ago which is the sister hotel to Le'Esplanade. While Le' Petit doesn't have a pool (you can use the one at Le'Esplanade) it is on the beach. It was wonderful! I've been to SXM numerous times and that hotel has a lot of charm. I'd say the same for Le Esplanade. From what I hear La Samana is in need of some repairs and if you don't get a newly refurb room then your kind of out of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
St Martin / St...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

And I agree with the above 2 posters. L'Esplanade was where my nephew honeymooned and the staff there couldn't do enough for them. As was stated, it's not on a beach and overlooks Grand Case so the views are wonderful, especially at sunset but the place has a lovely pool with bar and you have a plethera of restaurants to walk down to in the evening. During the day, if you want to beach it, rent a car and drive to any of the beaches around the island which is what almost everyone does anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
750 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
mulvihil@bellsouth.n...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

Thank you all very much! It sounds like Hotel L'Esplanade may be our choice. I have one more question, however. If we rent a car for the 3 days we are in St. Martin but then plan on taking a ferry to Anguilla.....does anyone know if we can rent the car at the airport and drop it off at the ferry or do we have to return the car to the airport and take a taxi to the ferry?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel L'Esplanade
Hotel L'Esplanade
750 Reviews
St Martin / St Maarten
Saint-Martin
Saint-Martin
St Martin / St Maarten
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
5. Re: Hotel L'Esplanade vs La Samana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 07:16