We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One last question; I'm on a roll...

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One last question; I'm on a roll...

We visited St Maarten 5 years ago and loved it. We are finally returning in a little over 2 weeks; long overdue! When were last there the old airport was still functioning and our departure from the island was extremely frustrating and difficult. Although it was required that we show up at least 2 hours prior to departure they would only let the "next" departing flight check in and check their luggage. Hundreds of people milled around for hours waiting for their flight to be announced and then it was a mad scramble to check in and get to the plane. I'm hoping that this has been resolved since the new airport opened up. Is it possible for us to check our bags in the morning and if so how far in advance do we need to be present for the flight? Many Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

New airport state of the art, check bags as soon as your airline counter opens, allow 2 hours for entire process.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Nice new airport...when the electricity is functioning

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Lucky you. We left (sadly) on Tuesday, and were pleased at the very efficient check in. We were through security and on our way to the business lounge ($20 each) within 20 minutes of entering the airport. Enjoy your trip.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Is it possible to check our bags in the AM, leave for a few hours, and then come back in plenty of time for the flight? Does anyone know what time the US Airways counter opens?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Yes, it's done quite often. When you arrive stop by the counter and ask when they open on your departure day.

Rhode Island USA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Agreed with Bob - (ask at your airline counter when you arrive what time it opens on your departure date). When we've had early afternoon flights, we return the rental car, check our bags as soon as the counter opens, grab our tickets and walk or cab to a nearby restaraunt, beach or bar to spend the last few hours of bliss :-)

Give yourselves the usual 2 hours when you return, but it does save the hassle of worrying about luggage.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Bill N Liz: That is exactly what we want to do! Our flight leaves at 3:30 and we want to enjoy the last day as much as possible! Thanks everyone.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

Whe I flew on USAir last year the counter opened at 10:00 am. No problem checking bags in the morning for an afternoon flight.

9. Re: One last question; I'm on a roll...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten