We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help asap! please

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help asap! please

Just checked in and have one of the worst rooms, overlooking maintenance yard, broken drawers, etc...mgmt said I could check in in the am for check outs on monday....what approach should i use...I own a flex week at this resort (which I prefer not to name just in case) but they said this was best available at the time, which was before actual check time....need some help, don't usually make a fuss but this is terrible for such a nice island!

thanks

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,876 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help asap! please

You should be able to change rooms tomorrow as guests check out or you could ask for an upgrade just for tonight.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help asap! please

please name the resort!. there is a major issue going on with flex week owners at OBBR (oyster bay beach resort). on another forum they claim they are being strong armed to invest into changing flex weeks to fixed weeks. everything that i am following on this issue is not good. flex owners are basically being told if you don't buy fixed weeks your flex week will only get you the worst units as well as be limited to the worst season (hurricane). fom yur description it sound like you could be in one of the middle 3 buildings which are horrible (interior conditions as well as views)!!!! issues with timeshares on the island are increasing and whether you are an owner or trading in it's important to know the mindset of mgmt of the resort. jmo

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,876 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help asap! please

MaryJo34 - in reviewing OP's other posts I'd say he's at OBBR - if so, does not look good from your description of events at this property.

Hope he checks in with an update.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 15:04
Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help asap! please

even some owners on ttol are posting as "anon" for fear of retribution by the resort. we traded in a couple of years ago. we at least had a somewhat updated room (using the terms lightly) facing the marina. this could be a fantastic resort (small and excellent location) but again it seems the owners are being squeezed for the the almighty dollar!!!! such a shame because they have one of the most loyal owner groups that i've seen. we are fortunate and don't depend on our ts to vacation but many do and have a lot invested. this just isn't right! jmo

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help asap! please

This sounds terrible, I am staying at OBBR on an exchange week in July. I hope that this is not the case for my stay. I have reached out to the resort a few weeks ago and got a very nice message back from management that they would make every attempt possible to give me a good studio unit. Obviously, it is very easy to send a message stating this but it's better than nothing. I am going in July and I hear that's a slower time to go.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help asap! please

our stay at OBBR was also a july stay in a studio. while it is a slower time on the island still no upgrades where available at obbr. i had points i had to use and this was our 3rd vacation that year (the others were full 1 br units) so i considered it more or less a freebie otherwise i would have been extremely upset. since you will probably not get into one of the new buildings...pack light! the studios are very small with no seating area...only a very small table for 2 with 2 chairs between the bed and sliding door. it was a very tight squeeze!!! a very small frig, an old hot plate (no big deal i don't cook on vacation), a microwave and small sink was at the end of the entrance hall on one side with the bathroom on the other. the small hall opened into a bedroom with a 4-drawer tall dresser, king bed with sidetables and small table/chairs. the bathroom has a very small corner shower but they did put a wooden shelf below the small sink for toiletries. what was annoying was that they didn't pay the cable bill and every 5 minutes there was a reminder to pay the bill that scrolled across the screen. now we weren't in the room much but still, c'mon pay the bill! This was 2009 when the new timeshare pavillion had recently opened and mainsail building (the private condos) was pretty much complete. the view at night of the marina and the swaying sailboats and all the lights from the villas in the hillside was the best though for a nightcap on the small patio. oh yeah...this was considered an updated room!!!! as i said in my review at the time this could be an outstanding, top-notch resort! it's small in size and it's location (for us) is perfect. but i wouldn't even consider trading back in unless guaranteed one of the new ts buildings and considering how they are now strong arming existing owners i doubt that will happen. jmo based on our stay!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help asap! please

Well, i dont like the way this sounds thus far but i have done the exchange and bought the airline tickets. i don't plan on doing more in the room then sleep and shower/get ready for dinner. i want to see the island and lay out by the pool and the beach.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help asap! please

You are correct in our location and I have since asked politely a few times and am told to ask back again tomorrow, well I don't want to be switching rooms in the middle of the week so will give up asking. It is not the end of the world, a short walk to the pool, beach, etc. But it is obvious this resort is not at capacity and if you are going to try to sell me something later in the week, why not try to make me happy ahead of time. We do not frequent this resort enough to make this a major issue, we exchange alot thru iInterval and cannot even do fixed weeks, our schedules do not allow for it, which is why we have the flex week(and only every other year for that matter). I will keep you posted on the rest of the week and any sales pitches we may encounter. Thank you for the input!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help asap! please

the pool was nice but small with an excellent view of st bart's. during our stay it was a little dirty imo. not alot but mold on the tiles and trash in the catch-all over the infinity edge. there's no reason for that if cleaned daily! dawn beach is very nice but the resort's section is small and chairs were limited especially if you're not one to "towel reserve" at 7 am. however the beach itself is large and you can rent chairs from a couple of vendors if there aren't any available at OBBR. i recommend mr busbys (daniels at night) next door for breakfast on the beach. found the restaurants on site to be mediocre at best and overpriced (except beau beau's lunch specials but was never there for lundh). we're accustomed to dining in nyc, philly and other high priced areas so we don't look at pricing if the food is good. that was not the case at obbr. do highly recommend big fish at the beginning of the road for excellent cuisine! this island has so much to offer in excellent dining experiences in all price ranges that it really made dining on-site unfavorable. the good thing is that it is located along the dutch french border area making it easy to get anywhere on the island to experience all it has to offer. they also offered a van to grand case one evening. i think it was $15 per person and they dropped you so you could choose you own restaurant. i highly recommend because the restuarants and wines are fabulous and you don't have to worry about driving back. we had a great time (we usually do) but spent most of our time away from the resort!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help asap! please

I hope the rest of your trip is better than the beginning. I will certainly be proactive in making sure my room is handled as soon as i get there, and thank you for posting this.

Yardley, as in Yardley PA? I am from Huntingdon Valley, so not too far away. I know going into it that it wont be a 4star hotel but i don't want to dread going back to my room.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten