We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

gadling.com/2011/…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

No, never really trusted any room safe.....what I leave in it can be 'lost' it it comes to theft.

Carry passport, credit card, cash, camera,phone always wherever I go, and never let go of my bag:)

Never take any jewellery which needs to be left behind, and only a cheap laptop which carries no private data.

So far always lucky!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Tilly - I'd never be able to do that. I'd worry about leaving the stuff somewhere and not getting it back.

For me there would be more risk in carrying these items around than leaving them in the room safe.

Especialy in larger hotels with many rooms, odds are in my favor that anyone with bad intentions won't get around to my room what with so many to visit.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

I use a special superglue - you'd have to chop my arm off to get hold of my bag.....but I know what you mean:)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Tilly, Have to agree totally with Bobcat. I'll take my chances with the hotel safe. If someone wants your bag bad enough, they will get it even if it's glued on!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

i would NEVER carry my passport and all cash with me! that's a recipe for disaster! while room safes are not entirely loss proof the chances of loss are far less than carrying these valuables with you imo

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Oh, I am not arguing with anybody, just saying this is what we do. I am sure many of you have been going to the Caribbean longer than us, only the last 10 years for us, but I always hang on to the valuables....passport specifically. We have not much cash usually and whatever we have is expendable.

There are many countries in Europe where you are legally obliged to carry at all times your identity documents, i.e.passports, so we are used to it.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,686 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Tilly - Best to make photo copies of important documents such as passports and carry the copies, also keep sets in luggage or some other place - in Europe don't they collect passports at hotels and keep them in a secure location?

Anyways, I'd hate to see your arm on Front street and not attached to the rest of you.

Take care....smile...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,353 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

haha - yes, they used to keep our passports not for safety but for 'security'

And all the best to you:)

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

Plus anyone who cruises the internet can open your in-room wall safe with a long, thin screwdriver.

I use a Milockie Hotel Safe Lock (Model #MK1000) that will work on Most in-room Safes. It does cost about $70 USD

10. Re: Hotel Room Safes....are they really safe....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 06:15