We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

First I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been so helpful to me on this board. Many of you have helped to make my vacation an amazing one, and I haven't even left for SXM yet!

We are a group of 4 adults who travel every year together, and this year is sort of "my turn" to help guide our little group on our adventures in SXM, so I have been doing research in order to help steer us in the right directions once there.

Is there a way to find out when cruise ships dock?

Is Philipsburg the only port in SXM?

Are there certain areas/beaches to avoid when a cruise ship is in port?

Sorry if all of these sound like silly questions. I just want to try and avoid an area if that area will be overrun by cruise ship passengers on a particular day.

Or is it all too difficult to gauge and is it one of those toss-a-coin-and-good-luck situations that is too difficult to plan around?

Thanks again! :)

Edited: 14 September 2011, 13:53
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

http://www.portofstmaarten.com/

ship schedules at top of linked page

I'm afraid I'm the contraian on this topic - we love to visit Philipsburg and Orient when the big ships are in port, we love the way the town comes alive with the visitors looking around, asking questions, showing interest in our island.

Crowds do not bother us in the least - except of course at the airport - lol - - - -

As to you, you may wish to avoid at least these two very bust places mentioned above if crowds are not your thing

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

I too have this same concern; is there any way to get the cruise arrival schedule??

3. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2011, 10:05
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

Yes, there is - all you have to do is click on the link I provided above.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

Agree with Bobcat half way on this one! Love Philipsburg when the ships are in. Great people watching, fun vibe. Of course, I'm not trying to shop - just watch!

The beach on the other hand, not so much.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

There are also some eating places that only open when the ships are in. Great time to go to Philipsburg.

7. Re: Cruise ship port schedules? What to avoid when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 04:17