We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Visiting St Maarten for a day whilst on a cruise. Can anyone recommend a must do on St Maarten. We are in our 40's, do love the beach and a little site seeing. Any advice would be great. Also what beach can you see the planes fly in and is it worth visiting?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,497 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Visit Maho beach to see the planes -

Visit Orient beach to see the nudes

Visit Grand Case, Marigot & Philipsburg

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

We did St. Maarten several years ago and rented a car. We are going to be there again in March on a cruise and wonder if this was still a possibility. We want to go to Grand Case and then Maho Beach.

Linda

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

My suggestion is to read the reivews for Maho Beach (airport beach) and Mullet Bay. I posted a review in January 2012 which describes how to get to the 2 destinations from the cruise ports. Have fun!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Is it on the forum site?

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Hello! You've got one day, and I have the perfect combo of activities for you!

Start your day in the town of Marigot on the French side. Marigot has fantastic markets, and it's also a beautiful old historic town, with a fort perched high on the hill. You can dine in restaurants or right next to the market place ... and if you want to enjoy some local fare and get a feel for the culture here, then choose the market place. That might be a welcome change to shipboard dining.

Then after lunch, head over to Maho Beach, which is the beach the planes fly over right before they touch down. There seems to be a concentration of the bigger planes coming in, between 2 and 3:30 it seems, so this could be perfect timing for you, before heading back to the ship.

Maho is a small beach, but it has beautiful sand, and a great bar/restaurant at one end of it, plus a couple of beach shack style bars at the other end. There are beds at the Sunset Bar end, and plenty of spare sand in between for you to just put towels down. Just don't put your stuff down in line with the runway! Some of the planes have a narrow jet blast, while others have their engines spread across the wings, giving a much wider swath of blast.

If you don't dine in Marigot, then you'll still get a good lunch at the Sunset Bar on Maho. But since you asked, you definitely don't want to miss the action of the aircraft landing and taking off. This is one of the 2 most spectacular airport approaches in the world (other one is Jamaica, I believe).

So I've given you one cultural activity, and one fun/leisure activity ... one on the French side, one on the Dutch side. And don't be mistaken into thinking that if you're already docked in Phillipsburg, you've now seen a typical St. Maarten town. While it does have some history, it's also been radically fashioned to suit the typical cruise ship passenger's needs, and has a sameness with all the other cruise ship ports. So do go enjoy a couple of other parts of this island if you'd like to get some real local flavor.

I was there a week ago, (also 7 years ago), and have just posted a couple of reviews that will illustrate my suggestions a little further. You can find those by clicking on my name, then on "Contributions" in the left column, then click on the Marigot Markets and Maho Beach articles near the top of my review list. Also, click on the photos I posted with the reviews (if they've been posted yet, and if not, then check back in a couple of days, I have one spectacular plane landing shot in the Maho photos!)

I do hope this has helped, and I hope you enjoy your day in St. M. whatever you choose to do!

Footnote: regarding Orient Beach, read my review on that too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

Fantastic thanks very much for that info just what I needed.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

You're welcome, and just one more thing, I want to emphasize that many of the market vendors pack up before 2pm. So if you're with someone who's really going to be interested in those markets, then make sure Marigot is your first port of call.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

http://www.bernardstours.com/

We are either doing Bernards or JoJunie!

Going next week!! :)

9. Re: One day in St Maarten. What to see & do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 07:16