We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

We were to the beach on March 27th as part of our itinerary at Oasis of the Seas. The place is wonderful and it may probably be one of the most beautiful beaches we have seen, HOWEVER after we had paid for our chairs and umbrella for the day, we started to smell an awful fetid smell coming out of the pond nearby.

Locals explained that houses and restaurants around the area have their sewage contaminating that pond that is really close by. we did not need to have a doctor in our party to know that we had to leave the premises 'pronto'. And so we did.

It was a shame since it had great reviews, and the restaurant at the far end of the beach looked just fantastic, but it was a high risk for health and you need to make sure that has changed prior to venturing in a 20' drive that will end up in frustration...

Magens was the alternative and it was really nice, a lot of sea weed but that is nature :) and we had a blast.

just wanted to make you aware of this situation.

tx

andy

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

Friers Bay is not contaminated but there is an ocasional foul smell coming from the pond in back if the winds are bringing it in.

Magens is on St Thomas not St Maarten.

Seekonk, Mass
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

When we were there in January they had dug a pretty wide (maybe 20-25 ft.) ditch/channel so that the pond could drain into the sea and in this way maybe by moving water it would dilute the sewage, Obviously the result was sewage going right into the beach water. Not a smart idea. The ocean eventually filled in the canal with sand pretty quick though, Some days the smell is pretty bad at the far end of Friar's

We wandered over to Happy Bay but still were not too thrilled with the potential of sewage sneaking over there also.

Edited to add: I should mention that there is a bulletin-type board at the beginning of Friar's and the most recent water tests are posted there

Edited: 01 May 2012, 19:00
Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

Good to know. I stand corrected.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

SXMScubaman, thanks for correcting me, it was Orient not Magens...

Still, I just wanted to make sure nobody spends 60 dollars in transportation, chairs, umbrellas and drinks to then realize you cannot breath there...

I love St Maarten but I had not seen this situation reported on the forum, and I did navigate it day in and out prior to my trip... Let's make sure our forums are updated with critical info.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

Looks like you did just that.

6. Re: Friar's Beach contamination with sewage from the pond nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:41
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin