We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare question..

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshare question..

I'm in the process of booking a timeshare (RCI), I would like to stay from a Friday through a following Sunday (9 nights). I'd like opinions on whether timeshares will book time periods like that. I understand that they usually go Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. Will I have to book one place for a couple of days and then move to another resort? Do any of Belair, Flamingo, Divi, Atrium or Royal Palm do unconventional stays such as a 9 night stay?

Thanks,

MTom

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare question..

Most T/S as you say are weekend trades, and Atrium does have a weekday "week" also that we often used. Usually you can book extra nights at your resort so you don't have to change resorts, but may have to move rooms.

Ohio
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare question..

I have done what sxmlover has described with our timeshare over the years, which is to request adding a day or two on the front or back end of our week. Sometimes the resort has been able to accomodate that (in a different room) and at other times we had to find another property for those extra nights.

The Garden State
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare question..

What I have done in the past is to book a Saturday to Saturday week with RCI and go to Expedia for the extra days in front and behind. Then a couple of days before I leave for SXM I email Flamingo Resevations with my information and ask for a room assignment that will not require me to change rooms during my stay, This usually works if it's not the busy season.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare question..

FlamingoPete, just so I understand, you do the week timeshare and then pick up the extra days through Expedia which are not covered by timeshare points? Flamingo being one of my top choices to stay, I assume their weeks run from Saturday through Saturday, is that correct? I was hoping to get booked for all days using timeshare points, again, can I assume that is improbable if not impossible? As for the busy season.....the week of Valentines Day...

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare question..

Yep, that as busy season as you can get!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare question..

Not my choice....and we may have to settle for a week and no more...also not my choice.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshare question..

There are some Sun-Sun weeks also. Flamingo also will rent you extra days before and after your week with Diamond Points or cash.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 15:27
Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshare question..

Thanks Scuba, ideally I'd like to go Sunday-Sunday and then get the prior Friday/Saturday on points. Whole point in getting extra days is to go during the week to Anguilla and get a hotel for 2 nights so I can get in as many of the beaches as possible on that island. My research tells me that I gotta see Shoal, Mead and Little Bay to name a few..

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshare question..

How about going to Anguilla first for your two nights then check into the Flamingo for a Sun-Sun stay? That way your not wasting time at the Flamingo during the week. Lots of times they will move you to a different unit if you tacked on extra days so going to Anguilla before your week starts will alleviate that problem. Saves you a day moving.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshare question..

Mainly because we have not purchased airline tickets yet, I'm afraid that we'll fly in late, then have to catch a ferry, rent a car, get to the hotel (on Anguilla). Secondly, if we got in at Flamingo and then went to Anguilla, I wouldn't be dragging around suit cases, I kind of wanted a 'home base' to leave most of our things at while we are on Anguilla. Now, I could get by for 9 days with a carry-on, but my wife has to pack BIG...one suitcase alone for shoes/flipflops...